[Steppes] Survival box additions

Elaine Crittenden via Steppes steppes at lists.ansteorra.org
Tue Apr 26 16:45:51 PDT 2016

Tonight, the National Weather Service issued a PDS for our area.
Tonight, the TV people said we had a PDS (the first in 5 years) for the area. Here’s what the National Weather Service said it means:

PDS
Particularly Dangerous Situation (PDS) wording is used in rare situations when long-lived, strong and violent tornadoes are possible. This enhanced wording may also accompany severe thunderstorm watches for intense convective wind storms.

The TV people interviewed a survivor of a tornado. Said additional items to have in an evacuation box, or at least handy, are SHOES. If you need to be out after the storm passes, streets may have glass, metal shards, splintered wood, and the like.

Also, if you didn’t stash any water containers, the water in the tank over the toilet is not contaminated. You can use that if necessary.

Some helpful hints they gave out to help listeners.

YIS,
HL Lete Bithespring