[Steppes] Candidate answers to questions

Karen Calhoun via Steppes steppes at lists.ansteorra.org
Thu Oct 6 14:44:10 PDT 2016

Greetings,
Here are the Candidates Answers to the questionnaires that were compiled from the questions submitted to me by the populace of the Steppes.  I will be posting them in 3 Separate posting in no particular order.  Please be aware that there is to be no comments or questions to any of these postings by your candidates on this list.  If you have questions or wish to have further discussion please seek out the candidates in a one on one discussion whether it be in person or by email or chat and have those discussions.  Facebook discussions or email list discussions are considered campaigning and as such are not allowed or considered fair by the B&B transition standards.
In Service
Mistress Asiya bint Mikha'il
Central Regional Seneschal

Peter & Sara
Greetings unto the wonderful Barony of the Steppes,
Thank you for taking the time to ask us questions prior to the Barony polling.  We hope that our answers will help you in making your decisions.
We will be happy to give more details or clarify our answers directly at: Sarah4SCA at yahoo.com<mailto:Sarah4SCA at yahoo.com>.
Lord Peter Rhys Connor and HL Sarah Fynn
 What is your vision for Steppes?
Our vision for the Barony of the Steppes is to grow our events, membership and activities by increasing communication, being proactive and dreaming big. We want to learn from other groups, but we also want to see The Steppes become the example for all Baronies to follow.
1.     What "positives" do you currently see in the barony?
Our Barony has many positives. It has hard working, caring officers that are willing to go the extra mile to get the job done.  It has multiple guilds with leaders willing to open up their homes. We are passionate about our traditions, and have a large geographical area to draw from.  We have an underutilized populace with new ideas and varied skills.  We have established events that draw participants from throughout the kingdom.
2.     Because of the size of the Dallas area, the Steppes barony has huge potential for increased membership.  However, our current
active membership is quite small even though it makes all efforts to be welcoming to newcomers.
a.     Do you have the management skills or experience to manage a currently diverse geographically spread-out barony?
 Yes. We have served several organizations both at a local and multi-state level.  We have already faced some of the same challenges and have been able to increase participation and communications in those organizations. We too, are challenged by geography, so we know firsthand many of the tribulations faced by our baronial members who live on the edges of our Barony.  Having a large geographical area gives us the opportunity to use multiple resources to strengthen our barony and should be looked at as an asset not a liability.
 b.    Do you have the experience and skillset necessary to create a plan and assist current members who are interested in growing the Steppes?
Yes. We have lead other organizations that were nationally recognized for their community involvement and growth.  We have taught communication and relationship retreats. We want people to come to us with their ideas and dreams. We want to help them facilitate and reach their goals.
  If so, explain some of your ideas on growing the barony.
 In order to grow our Barony, we will increase communication, foster a sense empowerment and seeking the counsel of Peers, past Landed Nobility and leaders in and out of The Steppes.  Letting people dream big will be a major part of our goals.  We will be proactive in planning and enlarging our events.
 c.     How do you plan to integrate the two cantons and still maintain core strength?
 We judge that the 2 cantons are a core part of what makes the Barony strong.
We hope to incorporate the 2 cantons into the goals and plans of the Barony as a whole.  We hope to visit their activities as much as possible.
 d.    Are you pleased with the current status quo?  Why or why not?
 The Steppes is a great Barony, but with everyone's input and help we can make it even better. We believe that continuous growth and improvement are possible.  The Steppes is made up of great people with great ideas and we hope that we can empower them.
 3.     Describe your view of the B&B in relation to the Seneschal and Officers of the barony.
 The Baron and Baroness work side by side with the other officers. Steppes currently has great officers and will hopefully continue to have great officers. We believe we have a great relationship with our officers.  This is what Kingdom law says about the role: #4- "ensure for the Crown, the efficacy of the officers of the barony" and #10" Maintain a good understanding of the function and rules of the offices of seneschal and treasurer".  Our combined interests will be used to encourage historical interaction, research and creativity in all areas of the Barony.
 4.     Many people think that there is a malaise in Steppes. Do agree?  If so, how would you correct it?
 Other large Baronies that are based in large cities would probably say the same about their baronies.  Many organizations have said that 10% of the people do 90% of the work. The SCA is no different.  We believe there is a strong potential in our Barony that needs to be encouraged and utilized.  We want to support all of our members and offer the best experiences possible.
 5.     How would you motivate others to serve joyously?
 We want to make our barony fun and one that everyone wants to participate in.  We would include others in the goal setting and plans so that they have ownership in their Barony. As previously stated we would be proactive in planning our events and recruiting autocrats and officers.  We would use the skills of our members to grow the areas they are interested in.
 6.     What are your plans to bolster teaching and learning?
We would like to use our peers as mentors and teachers. We hope to add some type of a baronial college, and increase the scope of our artisan's enclave at Steppes Warlord.
 7.     Regarding leadership: How does your persona approach it?  What are your mundane thoughts on it?
With both our personas and mundanely we believe in leading by example and using the skills we have been taught.
8.     Historically, the two DFW baronies are rarely in sync prosperity-wise.  One is usually thriving while one wanes a bit.      What are your ideas on sharing local prosperity?    How would you increase Steppes interest/participation/activities without siphoning from Elfsea?
The Barony of Elfsea is a very vibrant community.  We would like to have some co-baronial opportunities where both baronies would benefits from assets and talents available. The Steppes has a large enough area to increase interest, participation and activities which we think will inspire and be beneficial to both baronies.
 9.     How do you plan to convince a greater number of ducal and high-end fighters to return to Steppes' Sunday practice?
 We hope to have the Barony's support in hosting multiple regional fighter practices.  As fighter's lives change we need to survey when the best days and times to meet are.  We would love to return to the days of nightly fighter practices being held throughout the barony.  We plan to work with the marshal to help him in any way possible to meet all fighter's needs.
 10.  If running as a pair/couple, are your combined interests varied enough to make each sub community (heralds, C&I, rapier, chivalric, youth, etc.,) feel it is appreciated and cared for?
 Peter is both a heavy and rapier fighter. He has served as Rapier marshal and created The Legion of Swashbucklers Facebook Group.  Within the Steppes, Sarah has held both the offices of Chronicler and Hospitaler, which has allowed her to interact with all facets of the Barony.  We have tried to be at as many baronial opportunities as possible (everything from load out to business meetings). We have already made it our goal to attend each of the practices and meetings within the Barony each month and have adjusted our work schedules to allow us to do this. With face to face meetings, we hope to have bonds with each group.
11.  If you are applying as a sole/single rule, what is your plan to keep active in all areas without becoming overwhelmed or burning out?
N/A