[Steppes] Greetings from the incoming Oakenwald Pursuivant

Duncan Hepburn duncan at stormypetrel.org
Wed Mar 28 13:16:37 PDT 2018

Hello most gentle populace of the grand Barony of the Steppes.

My name is Duncan Hepburn, and I have been selected as the new baronial
herald. For those who do not know me, it's likely because my participation
has been very limited in recent years. In the past I've held several
positions in the barony, and am honored to serve you all once again. My
thanks to Lord Dragos for his excellent performance of this office. He has
been indispensable in the transition, and will continue his service to the
barony as my deputy for voice heraldry.

I got to hit the ground running, receiving my first submission for new name
and device my first day in this office, at the last business meeting. I
look to keep this office visible during my tenure, with heraldic
consultation and classes to come. There are so many aspects to the art and
science of heraldry: Name, device, and badge research, voice heraldry,
heraldic display, and the education, consultation, and commentary on any of
these. Heraldry is fun because it is a mix of following rules with artistic
expression. It's importance in the culture of the eras we study is
significant.

Also I'd like to mention that if any are interested in learning about
heraldry and/or being a deputy, please let me know. No experience is
necessary, just an enthusiasm for things heraldic. If anyone has any
questions about registering your identity with the College of Heralds,
protocols for heralding court,

Happily in service,

Duncan Hepburn
Oakenwald Pursuivant