[Vindheim] Vindheim Army Awards

Princess of Vindheim princess at vindheim.ansteorra.org
Sat Nov 26 19:20:39 PST 2022

At the most recent melee event in the Barony of Bordermarch, we unveiled
three new awards focused around the Vindheim Army. We continued with the
three aspects of the SCA theme as well as the color theme that has thus far
permeated the Vindheim awards.

When considering awards for an army, we wanted to make sure that all
aspects of the SCA were recognized for the parts they play in the war
effort. Statistics show that only 1 in 10 attendees at an event are there
for marshallate only endeavors. While marshallate activities can be a big
draw at demos, it is the other aspects of the SCA which keep people
returning and keep events running smoothly. Non-martial participants at
war-type events are often overlooked and unrecognized for their efforts in
aiding the war effort.

The Vindheim Companies are not reserved only to those who fight. Just as
infantry and cavalry needed the support of those in logistics, engineering
corps, signals, cooks, the War College, and many other non-combat roles,
Vindheim’s military is enabled and placed in a position to succeed by such.
But all are part of the same military, the same army, and on the same side.

Whether combat, non-combat or figurative combat (competitions), when
citizens of Vindheim go beyond “doing” and step up to “representing” and
further to representing well, beyond the borders of Vindheim, then they
have stepped beyond the ordinary and normal expectations of what they are
doing to perform the extraordinary and special.

To be clear, anyone can take up the colors and ensigns of Vindheim and
fight for, declare allegiance to, and represent the principality.  A person
does not have to earn recognition in a Company to fight for or represent
Vindheim or to be in any mustered army of Vindheim.

>From among Vindheim’s citizens who go beyond doing and take on the burden
of representing Vindheim well in foreign lands, who increase the
recognition or improve upon the reputation of Vindheim, while fighting,
competing, teaching, performing or serving, then at the pleasure of the
Vindheim Coronets recognitions in these Companies can be extended.

At its inception, the Vindheim Army will have three companies. There has
been talk since BAM of them being described as Special Forces or
Expeditionary Forces of the Vindheim Army. Hopefully future Coronets and
creative peoples can develop or maturate the names, but for now they will
be the Sanguine (blood red) Company for the martial aspect of the army, the
Sinople (green) Company for the art aspect of the army, and the Tenne
(tawny orange) Company for the service aspect of the army.

Each company will have different categories for which a member can be
awarded or recognized, the same as the structure for Ansteorra's Sable
Talon. A person can be a member of the Sanguine Company for any or all of
these reasons: Armoured Combat, Rapier Combat, Steel Combat, Combat
Archery, Target Archery, Siege, Thrown Weapons, Youth Rapier Combat, and
Youth Armoured Combat.

The Sinople Company was a bit more difficult to define categories, but with
the assistance of the Sable Thistles and an excellent data analyst we have
the following: Fiber Arts, Culinary Arts, Performance Arts, Household Arts,
Metallurgy/Metalwork Metal Arts?), Research, Tangible Heraldry, and
Husbandry.

The Tenne Company was even more difficult to define categories for since
there is no distinction in any of the common award systems. But, here are
our current best ideas: Group Management, Event Administration,
Infrastructure, General Assistance, and Event Operations.

Being recognized for any one category in each of the companies will entitle
the recipient the ability to be considered a member of that company.
Similar to a Sable Talon, each person may only be recognized in each
category once. A person could be recognized as a member of the Sanguine
Company multiple times (for Combat Archery, Siege, Rapier Combat, and Steel
Combat) but still be considered a singular member of the company. We have
ideas of what could happen if someone was recognized in multiple categories
or, even better, in multiple companies. But not everything has to be done
today.  :)

Which brings us to insignia. The Companies of Vindheim are all about
horses. Her Sanguine Highness Gilyan has released the badge she has been
holding for the principality efforts for many years to the principality. It
is our hope that the red horse and gold star badge will be incorporated
into insignia for the Companies. Again, we have more ideas about this but
simply ran out of time.

We are quite pleased and proud of the premier members of each of these
Companies. They are all worthy people who deserve recognition for their
support of the principality outside of its borders. Some have been often
recognized for their efforts and others not nearly enough. We could have
easily included many, many more who overwhelmingly deserved recognition.
Such is the pride the Coronet of Vindheim has in its populace.

Their Sanguine Highnesses,
Prince Jean Paul
Princess Gilyan