WR - Toys for Tots....

Azrael Azrael at Cyber-Wizard.Com
Mon Dec 7 14:04:07 PST 1998

So many times it seems that good ideas die in the cradle, while bad ones
thrive. This last weekend was a great example of a good idea turned into a
great event.

A little story if you will bear with me....

On one occasion Amr, still Governor of Egypt, came to Damascus to visit
(the Caliph) Mu`awaya, who was now grown old and feeble. His freed slave
Wardan was with him. The two old men fell into talk.
Prince of the True Believers, said Amr, what pleasures keep their savor
for thee nowadays?
Women? said the Caliph; no-I do not need women any more. To go fine? My
skin's so used to stuffs the softest and richest, I cannot tell what's of
the best any more. And eating -I have eaten delicate dishes so many that I
can no longer tell what I like. No, I think I have no pleasure keener now
than drinking cool in summer, and seeing my children and my grandchildren
go about me. And thou, Amr, what's thy last remaining pleasure?
A bit of cultivable land, said the conquerer of Egypt; enough to yield me
some fruit, and a little profit over and above.
Then the Caliph turned to the freedman Wardan. Thou, Wardan, said he, what
would be thy last enjoyment?
A noble generous deed! said he. Some deed that would live in the memory of
all remembering men, and earn for me in Eternity.
The audience is concluded! cried Mu`awaya; that's enough for today! This
slave here, Amr, is a better man than thou or I.
(Quoted by Eric Schroeder in Muhammad's People)

Its so easy to overlook the ones who run themselves ragged to make events
so wonderful, but I for one would like to express my Thanks, if only in
Email, to the people of the Western Region who made this all happen.

Lady Diedre the Easily Distracted:
For 2 weeks, this woman gave up sleep and sanity, not to mention all of
her free time to make this all come together as well as it did. She
approached this event with the knowledge that not only was she helping
children in need, but also her Barony and therefore her Kingdom.

Lord Orrin and His lady:
For those of you who ate at this event, Lord Orrin was the one who worked
tirelessly to get all the food together, prepared, cooked and served. It
was a wonderful meal, and more so for the fact that it was done for no
prestigous event...but for friends.

HE Vallust and Mistress Ascelyn:
You both showed up early and stayed late.. helping with the parade, the
tourney and the feast afterwards. I saw you both pass out flyers and cards
promoting our barony at the parade and talk to everyone who would listen
about the Fighting, A&S, and the SCA as a whole.

Lady Aziza:
You do more in this barony than many realize, from making sure that we had
floats for the parade, to keeping everyones spirits high during the long
ride. Just remember that we do notice.

There are many I didnt mention here, some of you have received private
emails, for the others, I wish to thank you each and every one for a
"Noble and Generous Deed".

well done my friends.....well done!!!

"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only
how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not
beautiful, I know it is wrong."

Ashril Khebte'ut Khan
Azrael at cyber-wizard.com