WR - Birthing

Dennis J Dolan djdolan at juno.com
Wed Jul 15 18:44:36 PDT 1998

Many of you know already that a son has been born to me and my lady wife
Anna.  We had gone to the hospital at Dyess AFB for a routine (we
thought) examination of Anna's pregnancy, on the 14th of July, after
doing a nutritional evaluation for her gestational diabetes we had the
'routine' exam, the doctor did the standard poking, prodding and
measuring, the doctor sent us upstairs for a 'non-stress test', the
nurses who performed the test telephoned in the results to the on-call
OB-GYN physician, Maj Berrios, who could not get a good picture of the
results over the telephone and came in, repeated the test, did an
ultra-sound, repeated the test, repeated the ultra-sound with a better
piece of equipment, and told us that she did not like the results of the
test and that she was going to admit Anna to the hospital  _and_ transfer
her to Abilene Regional Hospital where there were better facilities for
pre-mature babies and so at 8:30PM Anna got an ambulance ride to the new
hospital.  I arrived after the lights and siren ambulance, reported in to
the emergency room admitting, who did not know that she was even on the
way, let alone arrived, hooked into the various machines and getting
comfortable(?) in her new, private room($!), the doctor came in and said
what he was going to do:  observation, non-stress test, ultra-sound, and
a stress test.  Every thing was going pretty good, watching TV, watching
the monitors, enjoying the pictures on the ultra-sound, then, came the
stress test.  The nurses, on doctors orders, induced a contraction, and
we watched the baby's heart beat drop from 131 down to 63.  When the
heartbeat reached back up to 65, two nurses came in and took the
contraction inducing medication from the IV, by the time they had
finished unhooking the IV, a third nurse came in and said "Prep her" and
the room became very busy, nurses getting Anna ready, anesthesiologists
asking for preferences and allergies. They moved her out right smartly.
(Me? Anna was going to get a C-section, I signed papers and stayed out of
the operating room, two patients were enough.)

And So My Son Was Born

Kevin Andrew Dolan
1446 hrs, 15 July 1998
3lbs, 7.8 oz
17 inches
6 weeks 3 days before the due date

As of 1800, 15 Jul, Mother was in pain, but, not bleeding, Baby was in
intensive care, breathing fine, pulse strong, on oxygen, under heat lamp
being monitored

Dennis
Sir Doran