WR - Western Region Device

Sinclair jeffdp at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 24 16:59:27 PST 1998

Keep in mind I used to be a herald.

First, only recognized entities can have devices/badges.  This pretty much
limits things to people and 'official territorial devisions', such as
Kingdom, Principalities, etc.  If a bunch of people in the region want to
wear something as a regional badge, like a nice outline of a Mesquite,
fine.  But you can't register it.  And, perhaps regrettably, I think
devices should be registered.

However, your idea of having some token of the region is an excellant one.
I would suggest that the populace be polled at to what they would like.
This might work well at a large event, where ideas can be sketched quickly
and shown, as most people have only a limited understanding of written
heraldry.  Please, please, don't offer 3 or 4 examples and limit it to
that.  This was done in another Kingdom not long ago, with the result that
what that 'region' is currently using as a drawing does not match the
emblazon.  Which may be all the value that should be placed on heraldry,
but irratates me greatly.

Sinclair