WR - HEY

Ghislaine Fontanneau/Elayne Hoover elyh at wcc.net
Tue May 5 02:48:52 PDT 1998

ferret at mail.camalott.com wrote:

> > Can you give me the story on how we got the name Ansteorra.  I know it
> > was because of the appearence of Haley's comet on a tapestry and that
> > star was called the star of Ansteorra, but I'm not sure on what tapestry
> > it was and all the details.  Also is there a picture of the tapestry on
> > the net and do you know where it is?
> > Thanks...
> > Dirk
>
> Umm...nothing so esotric, I'm afraid....Ansteorra is Welsh for Lone
> Star... (as in the symbol of Texas...?) *grin* sorry t0o be a
> disappointment...
>
> In Service, I remain
> Alden Pharamond
> Mendersham, Ansteorra
>
>         Alden

I heard that it was Anglo-Saxon....from the Chronicle or something. "an
steorra" was in the middle of some sentence and means 'one star.'

Ghia

--
mka: Elayne "Ely" Hoover
SCA: Madame Ghislaine Fontanneau
elyh at wcc.net
"There are three possible parts to a date, of which at least two must be
 offered: entertainment, food, and affection.  It is customary to begin
 a series of dates with a great deal of entertainment, a moderate amount
 of food, and the merest suggestion of affection.  As the amount of
 affection increases, the entertainment can be reduced proportionately.
 When the affection IS the entertainment, we no longer call it dating.
 Under no circumstances can the food be omitted."
                 -- Miss Manners' Guide to Excruciatingly Correct
                      Behavior