WR - Herald's Office Required?

Dennis J Dolan djdolan at juno.com
Wed May 6 11:19:22 PDT 1998

On Mon, 04 May 1998 04:46:47 GMT larkin at webstar.net (HL Larkin O'Kane)
writes:
>To all concerned persons in the Western Region.  Please consider the
>following excerpt from Laurel Queen of Arms letter of  April 22, 1998
>
>"At the April Board Meeting exchequers were made required for all
>group.
>While heralds still remind [sic] a required officer for all groups, it
>is
>possible that there may be a proposal to _remove heralds, or at least
>move them to be one of the three others (like marshal or moa/s).  What
>is
>the opinion of the College on this matter? Please copy the Laurel
>Ombudsman,
>Margheritaq Alessia (Susan Early); [personal address information
>removed
>from public email] with your comments on this, and only this.  Since
>this
>issue effects the way the SCA is structured, we invite comment on this
>subject from all members of the CoA, not just the commenters."
>
>Please give me your thoughts on the matter of requiring the office of
>herald for groups below the Baronial level in order that my answer to
>this request will reflect your thoughts and desires on the subject.
>

>Larkin O'Kane     I will not purposly offend anyone in a public forum:
>CSM, AoO          If this post offends you, please tell me privately.

As our world becomes more complex, the requirements for more bureaucracy
increase, and unfortunately the tax man comes more often than once a year
and money matters will kill us and our enjoyment more surely than old
age.  So, unfortunately, with a heavy heart, I must agree that a
treasurer (reeve) is now a requirement for a new group, overshadowing the
importance of the Herald, and relegating the Herald to one of the others.
 i.e.  seneschal, reeve, pick one (herald, knights marshall, chirurgeon,
minister of arts and sciences).

with regret, but still Dreaming

Viscount Doran MacCollum, KSCA, OSG, POC, PCS