WR - Update on Rachel

Kim Tucker neassa at swbell.net
Thu May 28 12:30:01 PDT 1998

Lord Angus, I just read your missive telling of your friend (?), Rachel.
I am very saddenned to hear that someone you love is so terribly ill. It
is very difficult for all involved when a loved one is leaving this life
for the next. We went through a similar time with the death of Michael's
mother last November. If you have not already, I urge you to contact
your local Hospice for help. They can provide help in many different
ways, from a sitter who will stay in Rachel's room for the night so that
the family can get a little sleep knowing that someone will come wake
them if they are needed, to a counselor who will help explain both the
stages of death and the stages of grieving.

The ladies who helped with Michael's mother were gentle, caring, and
polite. They never intruded when a family member needed time alone with
Marcelle, and they were a comforting listener for all of us. Did all of
this make Marcelle's death easier somehow for us? I don't know, but when
I think of the memories of Marcelle's gentle passing, surrounded by her
family at her son's house that had become her home for the last two
months of her life, to that of Michael's father who died in a hospital
when the family finally decided to turn off the respirator, I know that
there was a difference.

One thing Hospice told us is to talk to your loved one, no matter how
ill they are, because they _can_ hear you.

Never miss a chance to tell someone that you love them.

Neassa