WR - Virus Alert!!! This is real!

steved at qualitycabinets.com steved at qualitycabinets.com
Fri Apr 16 19:08:51 PDT 1999

I think everyone should know that the document for the Passe De Armes has a
macro virus embedded in it! It is a clever little item that was written in
Visual Basic and it will hack your machine registry and create 2 new files,
netldx.vxd and hsf5442.sys.  Both of these files look legitimate, but if you
open them up with notepad you'll see that the .vxd file is actually a log
that records every machine that it has infected. It will then FTP the person
who wrote it and forward this log file (the .vxd). From what I have seen it
does not cause any devastating damage to your system, nor does it send out
any personal information. It is just a really, really damn annoying bug that
is hard to spot. Who ever wrote this has WAY too much free time on his or
her hands! This virus DID NOT originate with the Passe de Armes document,
it just seems to be yet another victim in this chain.

The problem with most macro viruses is that your anti-virus software will
not look for it unless it is told about that exact virus, since it appears
to be a regular macro file to your system, so it will take a little extra
effort to clear it out and repair the hack made to your system registry.

As soon as I can tell you how to clean this up, I'll put up another post.

Padraig O'Duinn

MKA Steve Dunne