WR - War Question 7

B. Byers phantom at camalott.com
Mon Feb 15 06:29:00 PST 1999

>to advance is to move forward at a normal pace to advance at the double
>time is to move at a fast pace to advance at the triple time is to move
>at a jog or a slow run and a charge is to advance at a full run this the
>meaning of the terms used in our military and has been used down history
>.. hope this helps you..;
>In service to the dream
>Ld. Randolph Stewart

Well, of what i know of large unit tactics,  I have never ever heard of the
command of advance at the triple time.
As I said before, in my previous definitions:
>Advance: walk forward
>Advance Double Time: jog
>Advance Triple time: never heard of such a command (sounds like a waste of
>                                     breath to me)
>Charge: Run!!!!!!!!  Forward obviously! :)
Is there really that much difference between a jog and a run that there is a
command needed? The American Civil War was the first war that is considered
to be fought by "literate" troops. Even in many cases then, they had to
train some soldiers to march instead of crying out, "Left!  Right!  Left!
Right!" they had to tie straw to one foot and hay to another on some of the
soldiers. Then they would command "Hay-foot! Straw-foot! Hay-foot!",
graduating to Left and Right.  Now the advance and at the double time march
everyone should all be in step. There are Commands that would have included
the word "quicktime". "Advance Double Quicktime, March!" which no cadence is
needed because all would take steps as needed at their own pace yet still
keeping formation.
If a command like "advance at the triple time, march" is used why the
officer could be a little more descriptive and use just a tad more breath
and say, "Okay everybody, advance at-not-jog and not-a-run, it's somewhere
in the middle there, march!" :)

Magnus