WR - Tourney Vote!!!

Brent Hanner behanner at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 22 15:24:24 PDT 1999

Mike Geisendorff wrote:

> I was stating my opinion of matters in the SCA heavy martial arts.

I'm aware of this fact but one of the primary goals of the SCA is
research and recreation and I'm simply trying to encourage it.

> True,
> I don't think there was a single of double elimination tournament held in
> the Middle Ages, other than those that were fought till one opponent
> dropped out because he was 1) dead   2) knocked unconsious or 3) hurt
> beyond continuing.   He thereby lost his horse, his armor, and his
> weapons to his honorable oponent which he either had to ransom them back,
> or had to do without.  I do consider those tournies, singe elimination.

Ransom tournaments aren't elimination tournaments.  Once you had payed
your ransom or if you had another horse you could return to the frey.
People
would  continue in simply thier gambesons and another weapon.  They were
only eliminated if they were injured or killed much like in SCA combat.
Most
of this style of tournament didn't even have a clear cut winner. It was
about fighting and getting stuff.  The closest thing I can think of to
being an elimination tournament would be a single fighter taking all
chalanges.   And you could only chalange once.

Peder

P.S.  My challange still stands if you choose to accept it and its also
open to anyone brave enough to accept it.

--
"While helmets onto heads were tied we formed the groups with which we
ride.

Service of Ladies by Ulrich von Lichtenstien