WR - The vow of silence question (Mach. Revenge)

Jane Lusk jlusk at crcom.net
Sun Mar 26 12:57:55 PST 2000

Greetings unto all!

Yesterday, at the very nice Machiavelli's Revenge event hosted by
Blacklake, a group of us got into a discussion about whether a monk's
vow of silence was also a vow against all communication.  It was a fun
discussion, encouraging some of us to engage in further research.

Today, I met a former history professor of mine, who just happens to
also be a former Benedictine monk.  I posed the question to him.  He
said the vow of silence, as practiced by his order while he was a
member, did not exclude all forms of communication.  He said they used a
sign language, and demonstrated the signs for "bread" and "help!" for
me.

Anyhow, I wanted to share that with the group of us who were wondering
the question yesterday.

Thank you, Blacklake, for a very nice event.

Your friend,
Elewyse Luscomb
mka Jane