WR - weather at Gulf War

Marcus Hite mbhite at arn.net
Tue Feb 27 16:20:07 PST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Padraig Ruad <padraig_ruad at irishbard.com>
To: <ansteorra at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2001 11:10 AM
Subject: Re: ANST - Gulf War

> >How many tunics should I pack? What kind of material should I make these
of
> >(cotton, wool)?
>
> The forecast at www.weatherplanner.com calls for highs ranging from the
60s to the 80s, with possible showers on Monday, Friday and Saturday.
Lighter materials for the day, heavier for the night (50 is downright cold
if you are not dressed for it.)  A variety, then, and as many as seems
reasonable.  A warm cloak, perhaps treated with Scotchgard for water
resistance, is an essential.

> >How many pairs of pants for fighting and general day-wear? I need to make
> >him some. Again.. What kind of material should I make these of (cotton,
> >wool, leather)?
>
> Try for enough for fresh clothing every day, and a change for the days he
will be fighting.  Nothing makes you feel funkier than damp, soiled
clothing.  Again, a variety to suit the changes in weather.  Also, bring
plenty of socks, and keep your feet as clean and dry as possible - nothing
will make you more miserable than wet, sore, chaffed feet.

> >He will be sleeping by himself in a tent. What is the best way I could
keep
> >him warm at night? We do not have a heater. I have heard of buying him a
> >solar/emergency blanket to put under his sleeping bag. Should I go ahead
and
> >send the air mattress with him, too?
>
> As an old Boy Scout and Scout leader, I can say with authority that you
should never EVER sleep directly on the ground if the weather is cold or
even cool.   An air mattress with even a regular blanket on it provides good
insulation between your body and the ground, so definitely send the air
mattress with him.  A trick I use when camping and the weather gets really
cold is to wrap up in an extra blanket inside the sleeping bag.  I have
never been cold sleeping this way, no matter how low the temperature drops.
(15 degrees one night at Gulf Wars VII!)

> >What is "Midnight Madness"?
>
> The evening that most of the merchants on Merchant Row stay open late and
offer discounts on their merchandise.

> >How much should he bring for spending money? How much is ice on site?
>
> How much money can you spare?  :)  Seriously, Merchants Row alone is
enough reason to go to Gulf War.  There are great bargains to be found, and
you can spend a lot of money in a very short time.  Set a spending limit
that you can live with.  There is usually plenty of ice available - it can
either be purchased near the dining hall or from the truck that makes a run
through the camping areas at least a couple of time a day.

> >I would like to make sure he is prepared and comfortable all week.
>
> A couple of other things to consider:
>
> Bring Wet Ones/Baby Wipes and some small bottles of waterless hand
sanitizer.  The site can be muddy or dusty, and sometimes both at the same
time.  While handwashing facilities are not always conviniently located, a
little hand sanitizer will help keep your hands clean, and a Wet One is
great for refreshing a dusty, sweaty face and neck.  And take advantage of
the hand sanitizer dispensers in the portajohns.

> Also, bring along some body powder, preferably something moisture
absorbing (the ones with constarch work best).  Using this can help prevent
chaffing and irritation.