WR - Fw: be sure to read the last one

Cad & Martha cadmartha at drbcom.com
Tue Jan 30 20:01:47 PST 2001

Some linguistic trivia from period.
Martha

Subject: Interesting

1. In Shakespeare's time, mattresses were secured on bed frames
by ropes. When you pulled on the ropes, the mattress tightened,
making the bed firmer to sleep on. That's where the phrase,
"goodnight, sleep tight" came from.

2. It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that
for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply
his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a
honey beer and because their calendar was lunar based, this
period was called the "honey month" or what we know today as the
honeymoon."

3. In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and quarts. So in
old England, when customers got unruly, the bartender would yell
at them mind their own pints and quarts and settle down. It's
where we get the phrase "mind your P's and Q's".

4. Many years ago in England, pub frequenters had a whistle
baked into the rim or handle of their ceramic cups. When they
needed refill, they used the whistle to get some service. "Wet
your whistle," is the phrase inspired by this practice.

Now get ready for this one.......are you sure!!
5. In Scotland, a new game was invented. It was entitled
Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden....and thus the word GOLF
entered into the English language.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
<http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.