[Western] Information on Gothic Wars

Kathryn Childress safiye1 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 28 21:07:33 PDT 2002

Greetings to all.

Gothic Wars - The Macgregor Clan War is upon us.  If you are planning to
attend this year's Gothic please read the following.  If not, please excuse
the bandwidth as I do not have time to update the web page before the event.

SITE INFORMATION:
* Water - I know the town is named Sweetwater - I think this was a joke.
The water is drinkable but does have a distinctive West Texas flavor. :)
* There are trees on site however most of them are mesquite and do not offer
a great deal of shade.  Portable shade is recommended.
* There is a building located at the front of the site that holds flush
potties.  Port-a-potties will be space around the rest of the site.  Please
do not camp in a manner that blocks the port-a-potties from the roads they
are located on.  This will prevent them from being professionally cleaned.
* There will be a shower trailer with 2 enclosed showers located at the back
of the site..  Hot water is first come first serve but with weather in the
triple digits most people will want the cold water.  There is a lake closeby
as well (the site is called Lake Sweetwater Park).  The water conditions of
the lake are unknown to me at this time.  We have had some rain but I don't
know if it will have been enough to make the lake inviting or not.
* There is access to electricity and water faucets on site. All outlets are
located to the North of the main (paved) road.  Please be courteous of
fellow campers and do not try and control access to these facilities.  Any
reports of this will gain you a visit from me.

WEATHER:
* Weather.com says the temperatures will be in the 90's.  I don't believe
this.  All of this week we have had temperatures over 100 degrees and I
expect the same for the weekend.

SAFETY:
* With temperatures reaching the century mark, please don't forget to drink
plenty of water and gatoraid.  It is advisable to start preparing now so you
don't have to play catch up at the event.

LOCAL CONVENIENCES:
* The closest store is on I20 in Sweetwater.  There is a Kmart and an IGA
located in the same parking lot.  Be advised that the Kmart is not a super-K
and does not sell food and very few beverages.  Last year they did have some
camping gear including citronella oil.
* There is a fishing store that sells ice just to the South of site on
FM1856.

MARSHALS:
Baron Gavin requests that any gentles available and authorized to marshal
heavy combat see him Saturday morning at armor inspection.

SHOPPING:
Several merchants are confirmed to include items of: ceramic drums, swords
and daggers, books, jewelry, trinkets, etc.
Bring your extra cash - there is shopping to be had!!

SCHEDULE:
An updated schedule will be posted at the list Mistress table throughout the
event.

Saturday:
8am Armor Inspection Begins
9am Morning Court and Armor Inspection Ends.
10am - Light Weapons Tournament and Heavy weapons melees.
A&S to be announced.
Archery to be announced.
Knife/Axe/Spear to be announced.
2pm Treasurer's class
6pm Evening Court
Evening activities: Amazon Auction, Firespinning, Middle Eastern dance,
Bardic, Tacky Garb Contest, Crane Party, and FUN.

Sunday:
8am Armor Inspection Begins
9am Morning Court and Armor Inspection Ends.
10am - Heavy Weapons Tournament and Light weapons melees.
6pm Evening Court

TAVERN:
The Crane Household is confirmed as having a Tavern at Gothic Wars.  The
menu includes:
Breakfast....Sausage, Egg,Cheese Burrito's & Coffee
Lunch & Dinner:
Smoked Chopped Brisket Sandwich's or tortilla wrap; Smoked Sausage Sandwich
or Wrap; Smoked Chicken Breast Sandwich; Hamburger; Assorted Chips; COLD
bottled water; BOTTOMLESS IceTEA and Lemonade

Thank you for your patience and I hope to see you at Gothic.

Baroness Safiye Griffith
Gothic Autocrat
915-223-8784
safiye1 at hotmail.com (event questions before 8pm Thursday 8/29)