[Western] Challenge

Cameron Cook bonwickejester at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 06:54:25 PDT 2003

Greetings Your Excellency,

As far as I have been able to ascertain, Judas
Maccabee was fighting the Syrians (more specifically,
Bacchides) when he was slain in c.160 BC. What they
had on their shields was a little more difficult to
track down, but as best I can tell it was a depiction
of Semitic mermaid moon-goddess. The Syrians called
her Atargatis. Is this correct?

Yours in Service,
Ld. William Cameron