[Western] Gothic Wars Information and Map

estarkey estarkey at starband.net
Thu Jul 31 11:44:26 PDT 2003

Greetings to all.

Gothic Wars - Battles of the Iberian Peninsula is upon us.  If you are planning to attend this year's Gothic please read the following.  If not, maybe plan for next year.

SITE INFORMATION:
* Water - The water is drinkable but does have a distinctive West Texas flavor. :)
* There are trees on site however most of them are mesquite and do not offer a great deal of shade.  Portable shade is recommended.
* There is a building located at the front of the site that holds flush potties.  Port-a-potties will be spaced around the rest of the site.  Please
do not camp in a manner that blocks the port-a-potties from the roads they are located on.  This will prevent them from being professionally cleaned.
* There will be a shower trailer with 2 enclosed showers located at the back of the site..  Hot water is first come first serve but with weather in West Texas this time of year, you might want cold water anyway.  There is a lake closeby as well (the site is called Lake Sweetwater Park).  The water conditions of the lake are unknown to me at this time.  We have had some rain but I don't know if it will have been enough to make the lake inviting or not.
* There is access to electricity and water faucets on site. Since last year, more outlets and water faucets have been added to the site, both North and South of the main road(paved)   Please be courteous of fellow campers and do not try and control access to these facilities.  Any reports of this will gain you a visit from me.

WEATHER:
* Updates when the date gets closer.  This will include information on open fires.  As right now, there is no fire ban in Fisher County.

LOCAL CONVENIENCES:
* The closest store is on exit 244 on I20 in Sweetwater.  There is a Kmart and gas station convience stores, McDonalds, Taco Bell, Schlotzkey's.  The IGA there has closed.  Take the first Sweetwater Exit (248, Business 20) and go into town to find the Brookshire Store (Was Winn-Dixie last year) -on Broadway with the big V in the parking lot.  Be advised that the Kmart is not a super-K and does not sell food and very few beverages.  Last year they did have some camping gear including citronella oil.  The Lake Store (just down from the site on FM 2043) is closed, but the Pro Shop at the Sweetwater Lake Golf Course (just down the from the site on FM 1856 has sandwiches, sodas, and such.

HOTELS, MOTELS (Sweetwater)
Comfort Inn (325) 235-5234
Holiday Inn (325) 236-6887
Longhorn Motor Lodge (325) 235-1547
Motel 6 (325) 235-4387
Ramada Inn (325) 235-4853
Ranch House (325) 236-6341
Traveler's Motel (325) 235-2850

MARSHALS:
Baron Chiang and HL Torshiro request that any gentles available and authorized to marshal heavy or light combat see them Saturday morning at armor inspection.  Any Youth Chivalric Marshals available, please contact Lady Ryah or HE Chiang.

SHOPPING:
 Bring your extra cash - there is shopping to be had!!

SCHEDULE:
An updated schedule will be posted at the Pavillion throughout the event.

Saturday:
8am Armor Inspection Begins
9am Morning Court and Armor Inspection Ends.
Begining at 10am, there will be -
Light Weapons Tournaments.  Last Man Standing, Champion, with melee in the afternoon.  RBG's allowed with fighter agreement.
Heavy weapons melees.  Breech in the Castle Wall, Bridge Battle (Res), Open Field.  Combat Archery
A&S :  Please have your entries at the A&S tent as soon after opening court as possible.
Classes:  Herbalism, Interpreting Period Indian Illuminations, Beginning Dagging, all brought to Ansteorra from the Kingdom of the Outlands.  Please email me if you would be interested in giving a class.
Archery - Saturday.   a duel at targets.  Two archers will walk toward targets representing each other, firing at will, until one target has recieved "death wounds" or is so full of arrows that  surrender is the only answer.  Target arrows.  No crossbows.
2pm  Youth Chilvaric.
Evening activities: Amazon Auction, Bardic Circle, and FUN.

Sunday:
8am Armor Inspection Begins
9am Morning Court
10am -
Heavy Weapons Tournament  - Bear Pit, Centurian Tourney, Novice Tourney
Light weapons melees.  Ship battle, open field melees
Knife/Axe/Spear.
6pm Evening Court

THE GOTHIC WAR CHEST:  All participants are encouraged to bring items for the
War Chest.  To the victors belong the spoils!!  or we split the loot as
usual amoungst us.

TAVERN:
The Crane Tavern is confirmed for Gothic

Thank you for your patience and I hope to see you at Gothic.

Lady AmaRyah hap Illys de Visclo
Gothic Co-Autocrat
325-235-0643
estarkey at starband.net (event questions before 8pm Thursday 8/28)

Directions:
>From the east, west or north, Take Interstate 20 to exit 249 (FM
1856). Head South. The road will fork; take the left fork, which will
be FM 2035. The Site will be on your right approximately a mile down.

>From the South, take Highway 70 to FM 1856.
You will come to a fork in the road that will either take you to
Interstate 20 or to FM 2035. Take the FM 2035 fork.
Site will be on your right approximately a mile down.

Only read this if you like watching the night skys, and would like a chance to see this without big city lights

MARS BURNS ITS BRIGHTEST OVER THE WESTERN REGION DURING GOTHIC WARS!!!

This August,  Earth is catching up to Mars, an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars  may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astrometry can only be certain that Mars has  not come this close to Earth in the last 5,000 years but it may be as long as 60,000 years. The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34.649,589 miles and will be (next to the moon) the  rightest object in the night sky. It will arraign a magnitude of -2.9 and  will agorae 25.11 arc seconds wide. With a 75 power magnification, Mars will look as large as the full moon.  Mars will be easy  to spot. At the beginning of August Mars will rise in the east at 10 pm and reach the azimuth at about 3 am. But by the end of August when the two planets are closest, (during Gothic), Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30 am. That's pretty convenient when it comes  to seeing something that no human has seen in recorded history.  So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow  progressively brighter throughout the month.  NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WILL EVER SEE THIS AGAIN.