[Western] question from the fool

HE Kainin Tepesa kainin at copycraft.com
Wed Sep 24 13:27:59 PDT 2003

Gael "The Fool" O'Finnin "The Strange" asked: "what are the full
names for OLW,*RH*,and ODB. oh! what is a court barony?"

Greetings Gael,

I really expected that a herald or two would beat me to this (as I
scrambled around the net gathering the pieces that I needed), but
here is my humble (if not overzealous) attempt to answer your
questions.

I am assume that you know that those initials stand for specific
awards given in the Society and are asking which ones in particular.
I did some searching (see the end of my email for websites used) and
came up with the following:

OLW - I am guessing these are the initials for the current Baronial
service order for the Barony of Wiesenfeuer, the Order of the
Lanternarius. I could never find the initials listed for that order,
but they stand to reason.

*RH* - Again guessing, I would say the Royal Huntsman. This is a new
revolving title that is chosen every six months to represent the new
Crown of Ansteorra in the field of archery, in much the same way as
the King's Blade of Honor is passed at each Crown Tournament to a new
holder.

ODB - This one I am sure of, assuming that the websites I used are
correct, it is the Order of the Dreigiau Bryn (ODB), the current
service order for the Barony of Bryn Gwlad.

Please, heralds, correct me if I am mistaken in any of the above.

Now, on to "what is a court barony?". This is the definition that I
found and I think that it sums it up best:

"The titles of Court Baron and Court Baroness convey a Grant of Rank.
These titles are usually bestowed upon territorial* Barons and
Baronesses when they step down. They are also given to those subjects
whose service, ability, deeds, and grace merit such rank in the eyes
of the granting Crown. Court Barons and Baronesses rank just below
the Patents and above the Grant Orders."

*Territorial Barons and Baronesses are appointed by the Crown and
hold lands (Baronies) for Them, acting as Their representatives when
the Crown is not there.

I hope that helps and for good measure (and since I was there anyway)
I have included all the awards I could find for Ansteorra and what
their initials are (when I could locate them).

In service,
Baron Kainin Tepesa
Lord Bonwicke

Peers:
Knights of the Society (KSCA)
Mastery of Arms (MSCA)
Master/Mistress of the Laurel (ML)
Master/Mistress of the Pelican (MP)

Grants of Rank:
Order of the Star of Merit (CSM)
Order of the Iris of Merit (CIM)
Order of the White Scarf of Ansteorra (WSA)
Order of the Centurions of the Sable Star (Centurion)
Order of the Arcus Majoris of Ansteorra (CAMA)

Awards of Arms:
Award of Arms (AOA)
Award of the King's Gauntlet (KGA)
Award of the Queen's Glove (QGA)
Award of the Sable Thistle (THISTLE)
Award of the Sable Crane (CRANE)
Award of the Sable Comet (COMET)
Award of the Compass Rose (CRA)

Retired Ansteorran Baronial Service Orders: (In Order of the Creation
of the Baronies)
Order of the Misty Star (OMS)			Barony of  Stargate
Order of the Astral Clarion (OAC)			Barony of  Stargate
Order of the Tread of the Steppes (OTS)		Barony of the Steppes
Order of the Cap and Bells of  Bjornsborg (OCBB)	Barony of Bjornsborg
Order of the Ursa Majoris of Bjornsborg  (OUMB)	Barony of Bjornsborg
Order of the Halberd of Bryn Gwlad (OHBG)		Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Order of the Western Cross (OWCB)		Barony of Bonwicke
    * I am sure there are more, but this is all I could find.

Current Baronial Service Orders:
Sodality of the Sentinals (SSG):		Barony of Stargate
Order of the Oak (OOS):		Barony of the Steppes
Order of the Fire Brand:		Barony of Bjornsborg
Order of the Silent Trumpet (OSTB):	Barony Bordermarch
Order of the Dreigiau Bryn (ODB):	Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Order of the Heart of the Sable Storm (OHSS): Barony of Namron
Order des Cotes Anciennes (OCA):		Barony of Eldern Hills
Order of the Raven's Heart (ORH):	Barony of Raven's Fort
Order of the Azure Keystone (AKE):	Barony of Elfsea
Order of the Lanternarius:		Barony of Wiesenfeuer
Order of the Serpent's Toils (STLS):	Barony of Loch Soilleir
Order of the Keepers of the Cross (OKCB):	Barony of Bonwicke
Order of the Lion's Paw of Kenmare:	Barony of Northkeep

Non-Armigerous  Awards:
Order of the Rose (LR)
Order of the Lions of Ansteorra (LION)
Award of the Sable Falcon (FALCON)
Award of the Queen's Rapier (AQR)
Award of the Rising Star of Ansteorra (ARS)
Award of the Golden Bridle
Award of the King's Lancer
Award of the King's Archer (KAA)
Award of the Motley Sash (CMS)
Award of the Crowns' Favor of Ansteorra (ACF)
Order of the Queen's Ring of Ansteorra
Order of the Vine Staff

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/jessa/anst.html

http://www.ansteorra.org/regnum/hospitaler/GuidingHand/guidhan4.htm#PRECEDENCE%20&%20SOCIETY%20AWARDS