[Western] Gothic Site

Ld Angus ldangusm at cox.net
Sun Feb 1 19:47:44 PST 2004

Answered by section
just some thought of my own
Angus

-----Original Message-----
From: western-bounces at ansteorra.org
[mailto:western-bounces at ansteorra.org]On Behalf Of Curn
Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2004 6:09 PM
To: western at ansteorra.org
Subject: [Western] Gothic Site

I have been reading the several responses and such to the Gothic War site
and some people's approval or disapproval of the location for traveling.
Some people have also stated that it does not matter where the site is, if
people like the event they will attend it. Let me address the theory of
liking and attending an event no matter where it is first.

In the past Gothic had a large amount of support from the Northern Region,
even though it conflicted with Weisinfuer's Baronial. It also had a good
turn out from the Outlands. I do believe people will go to an event if they
like it, but distance is a factor. Gothic had knights who lived 30 minutes
from Weisinfur traveling 4 hours to Gothic, because they liked the event,
very few from the South came to support it. Since it has moved further
South, less from the North and the Outlands have supported the event and
more from the South have began to support it. Was it an even loss vs. gain,
who knows, the point is just because people like an event do not expect them
to chase it without regards to its location. So to say that if people like
it they will come to it is far from accurate because those of you who have
seen the changes in attendance, over the last 10 years, from different
regions will have to agree.

I have not been in the SCA for the last 10 years and can not say who has
attended in the past. But from the last 4 years what I have noted is that
the turnout for Gothic is around 300 that includes light and heavy and all
the Dons that attend are mostly from the central region and this is the only
time I see them in the west at an event that I was at.

Onto the next area.

Is Gothic War a regional Event or an event each group puts on for the
region?

If it is a "Regional Event", then should the entire region not be in on
deciding a good location for the event? I have not looked, but I can
guarantee I will start, but surely, there is a suitable and semi central
location. In addition, I got a feeling from someone's post that is was about
supporting the event and trying to get a good turnout. If that is the case,
then let's moves Gothic to the Steppes area and get twice the turnout it has
ever had, I mean let's face it, the Central is the strongest area for events
for a reason. The co-autocrat for this years Gothic is Rufus, he lives way
up in the North in Adlersruhe. Is there a slight possibility that when he
auocrats it next year he is not going to have if it the same place it is
this year due to distance, and with that in mind, the person who autocrats
it after him, are they going to change it again? If I autocrat an event I
want it in a location I know my populace is going to support, I am not
saying Rufus would or would not move it, I am speaking hypothetically and
wondering how much thought has been put into this on a long term stand
point.

Gothic is a Western Regional Event  that had used Sweetwater site for
sometime now but with the price jack up the city wants plus the porta
potties and the showers that have been a staple ever since  Selwin brought
them out 4 Gothics ago the price has gotten out of reach. With Kingdom
law one group has to sponsor the event, not the regions choice but a Kingdom
law, for one shire or the Barony to outlay $2000.00 up front is a tall order
for some. I hope that we can find a place that is central for most of the
region but booking a place for 300 or more on a large holiday weekend has to
be done early in the year to insure you have the site for the event.
Guess what I'm tring to say is the change was one of price, not location

And my last issue the site itself.

If I do this right, click on the flowing link
http://www1.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/hords/GSpolicy.htm  and read numbers 6 and

7. Just in case it doesn't work here is what it says:6. Quiet hours will be
observed throughout the park between 10:00 PM and 6:00 AM. Noises which will
unreasonably annoy persons are prohibited at any time. No Amplified Music Is
Allowed. 7. The gate to the park will be closed at 10:00 PM and opened at
6:00 AM. Persons will not be allowed to enter the park during this time.

So what are those people coming in late suppose to do? And are we going to
get in trouble for those who like to stay up until the wee hours drumming
and such? I hope that these issues have already been addressed but I have
dealt with the corps before, and from my experience, their rules are law.

They may lock the gate at 10 but we were told by the gate attendant that we
could enter the park just not bring a vehicle on the site this is why I
proposed we carry late arrivers down to site with pickups after close. Also
pointed out it's a holiday some will be quite but most will stay up late we
will have an area that is away from most and drumming can happen early and
semi settle down by 10:00 we may even find that we can still drum if the
distance is great to other campers. No one is saying we have to go to bed
just not annoy others.

Sorry so lengthy just some of my thoughts and questions.

Curn