[Western] Gothic Site (long)

estarkey estarkey at starband.net
Sun Feb 1 22:56:22 PST 2004

i would like to have a good discussion on a permanent site for gothic at
Crescent Wrench.  Please, everybody look at sites that you know, sites that
you have heard of, etc all through the region.  Take notes on costs for the
site -site fee and whether or not there is adequate sanitary facilities or
we will have to import portajohns and showers, and how much those will cost.
Look at the available of potable water and electricity.  Parking for cars
bringing 300+ people to the site.  Wet site.  Secluded, if possible.  Room
for all martial activities, tourney and melee space for both heavy and light
*at the same time*, archery, and thrown weapons, and permission to have all
of them.  Merchant space (and permission to have them).  Tent space.  RV
space.  Children's play area.  Permanent pavillions.  Kitchens.  Distance to
hotel/motels.  Distance to grocery stores/liquor stores/hospitals.  Extra
site features, swimming, nature paths, etc.  Distances from each WR group.
Shade.  Can site restrictions be lived with?

Take pictures.  Get site quotes.  Find trees.  Find something better than
Hords Creek at $1100 for 300 people for a Friday arrival, Monday departure
on Labor Day Weekend (showers and flush toliets, water and electric.)  START
NOW!!!

Sweetwater was okay until they jacked up the site fee from $200 for the 3
day weekend to $720 for the 3 day weekend, meaning the group sponsoring the
event needed to make at least $520 more at gate to break even.  Mendersham
has arranged for the portajohns and showers from either a Sweetwater or
Abilene Company since I moved here, and either fronted that part of the cost
or arranged to get it paid after the event.  Portajohns and showers ran
about 1200 bucks.

rough budget using sweetwater this year:  500 for misc, 720 site, 1200
portajohns and showers = 2420  if you figure on 200 adults coming (low, bad
weather, etc), you gotta charge at least 12 bucks a head to get near a break
even point.

rough budget using hords creek, 500 for misc, 1100 for site = 1600.  heck of
 a lot easier to survive a bad turnout, especially since it is a new site,
and one shire is responsible for profit or loss at the event.

I actually put a lot of thought and effort into keeping the site at
Sweetwater, and keeping the price down.  Ask any of the autocrats after
Eleanor.  I put a lot of work into keeping the price at $200 for Crossrode
Keep's Gothic.  Had the individual who took over running the park and the
City Manager of Sweetwater been reasonable, we would have it there this
year.  As Angus stated, getting a suitable site for a large event must be
done early in the year, especially since it is on the last vacation 3 day
weekend of summer.

And yes, I have put a lot of thought into Gothic from a long term standpoint
for a long time.  I have attended every post gothic meeting starting with
Selwyn's.  After last year, I am *more than aware* of how much work it takes
to put one on, and what kind of area is needed for everything to run
smoothly so people have a good time at the Western Region's Gothic War.  I
have looked at every event site that I have gone to for the past three years
here in the region and thought about whether or not it was suitable for
Gothic Wars.

There is a good possibility that the site may change again for Rufus'
Gothic.  But at least y'all in the region have time to buckle down and find
a really good permanent site.  I hope that Hords Creek will work out.  Since
there has never been a SCA event there, I simply do not know if it will.
Hell, they may cancel our reservation after they see Mendersham's Defender
there in May.  I guarentee that anyone who goes out looking for a new site
has my full support, and now they have a year to do it in, not like we had
to do.  And at least 3 regional meetings to discuss it at before a decision
has to be made.<G>.

I have heard a lot of griping about the Sweetwater site, dust, no shade, no
grass (7 year drougth), have to use portajohns, driving distance...  Angus,
Byron, Sven and I used up a weekend looking, discussing, taking pictures,
talking to site owners, looking at nearby facilities, reading site
restrictions, and came up with a place.  Feel free to do the same.

(milage from rand mcnally.com)

Amarillo to Sweetwater 244 miles,
Amarillo to Coleman  321 miles,
+77
Lubbock to Sweetwater 124 miles,
Lubbock to Coleman 214,
+90
Big Springs to Sweetwater 67 miles,
Big Springs to Coleman  158 miles
+91 miles

Midland to Sweetwater 108 miles
Midland to Coleman 199 miles
+91

Odessa to Sweetwater 129 miles
Odessa to Coleman  220 miles
+91

San Angelo to Sweetwater 76 miles
San Angelo to Coleman 72 miles
-4 miles
Abilene to Sweetwater 40 miles
Abilene to Coleman 53 miles
+13 miles

my house to sweetwater site 10 miles
my house to coleman 83 miles
+73 miles

What I remember about previous gothics, money, type, autocrats, etc:  y'all
can correct my memory

Elenor's Gothic - profits split evenly between the Shires, griping because
some groups did more than others, but everybody got the same amount -
Regional Event

Selwyn's Gothic - profits held in Adlersrue account, until something? -
Regional Event  first appearance of showers

Chiang's Gothic - profits went to Bonwicke, agreement by the Region's
Seneschals to refurbish Bonwick's coffers - Regional Event.

Sayfiye's Gothic - profits went to the Ansteorra gate -Regional Event.
Crossrode/Marianna was slated for this year, but Trelac ended up as sponsor.
Sayfiye's magnificent job as autocrat of Gothic one month after serving the
Crown of Ansteorra for 9 months.

Kingdom Law change - there are no more "Regional Events".  Events must be
sponsored by a individual group or be a multigroup event, each multigroup
event must be approved by the Kingdom seneshal.  At post gothic meeting,
agreement to have one group sponsor gothic each year, rotating through the
groups..

Marianna's Gothic - profits kept by Crossrode Keep -Regional Event,
sponsored by one group.  Autocrat"s spouse unexpected serious heath problems
reinforced the absolute wisdom of those who insisted that there be a
co-autocrat for gothic.

Kingdom Law Change - each shire can have only one calendar event

Ryah's Gothic - Regional Event, sponsored by one group.  Right now, we only
have expenses, no profit<G>

Rufus' Gothic - Regional Event, sponsored by one group, maybe two, whatever
gets Kingdom off our backs.

Comments, questions, and solutions welcome.
Ryah (the blunt)