[Western] [Fwd: A&S 50 Challenge]

jlusk at crcom.net jlusk at crcom.net
Tue Apr 8 08:10:02 PDT 2008

I'm forwarding this from the Southern Regional MOAS.  Sounds interesting!
__________________________________

If you haven't heard of the A&S 50 Challenge, it's a challenge to artisans
in honor of the 50th anniversary of the SCA.  The challenge goes from May
1, 2007 to May 1, 2015. The full information can be found at
  http://artsandsciences50.org/index.html

  I've pasted the letter from Lady Aylese below.  - Amata

            Unto all good gentles of the Known World does Lady Albreda
Aylese send greetings!

  The Society for Creative Anachronism celebrates its 50th year on May 1,
2015, and that will be cause for much celebration.  I am starting early,
and I hereby invite you to join the party!

  Challenges have long been a part of Scadian culture, and I thought that
a challenge of 50 things seemed appropriate for our 50th year.  Since
years in the SCA are counted as Anno Societatis, (year of the Society,)
or AS, and Arts and Sciences (the lovely canopy under which so many of
my interests rest) is oft abbreviated A&S, the A&S 50 Challenge was
born.

The A&S 50 Challenge can take one of two forms; either Depth or Breadth.
The Depth Challenge is to create/do 50 of any one thing - make 50 pairs of
shoes for your Shire, pen 50 scrolls for your Kingdom signet, cast 50
coins blanks, make 50 pieces of garb, judge 50 competition entries, teach
50 classes, perform 50 songs, or even write a 50 page research paper; if
you want to take your current work to a new level, doing 50 of it is bound
to carry you a long way towards that goal!  The Breadth Challenge can be
about either trying new things,  (either completely new to you, variations
on things you have done before, or even new to your household, local
group, or even Kingdom), or about creating a complete persona package
(things that your persona would know about, have, and know how to do).
Both individuals and groups may enter, and can choose to complete as many
Challenges of either type as they please!

The purpose of the Challenge is twofold; to learn and share of our
learning, and to create and share of our creation.  While we are edifying
and beautifying our fair lands, we will also be serving both our populace
and The Dream, and helping to make the SCA the very best it can be as it
enters its 50th year.

  Challenge Basics:
    * All work must have been started after May 1, AS 42 (2007) and
completed by May 1, AS 50 (2015).

The Three Approaches:
The Depth Challenge -
*50 of any one type of thing, in order to push your skills and knowlege to
new levels (how broadly you define this is up to you)

The Breadth Challenge -
*do/make/learn 50 new and different things (how new, and how different is
up to you/your group), or,

The Persona Challenge -
*making/learning 50 different things that your persona would know, have,
or know how to do