[Western] [The Dream

willowjonbardc at juno.com willowjonbardc at juno.com
Thu Apr 24 16:52:04 PDT 2008

Dear people when I joined there was no talk of the Dream. We talked about studying and liveing to the Hight Ideals of the Middle Ages. The Coropora told us that it was our duty to behave in a "Knightly and Chiviyious manner." The Code of Chiviaty was our bywrod.

Here is the Code found in Historical scources.

Knights Code of Chivalry dating back to the Dark Ages
The Knights Code of Chivalry was part of the culture of the Middle Ages and was understood by all. A Code of Chivalry was documented in 'The Song of Roland' in the Middle Ages Knights period of William the Conqueror who ruled England from 1066. The 'Song of Roland' describes the 8th century Knights of the Dark Ages and the battles fought by the Emperor Charlemagne. The code has since been described as Charlemagne's Code of Chivalry. The Song of Roland was the most famous 'chanson de geste' and was composed between 1098-1100, describing the betrayal of Count Roland at the hand of Ganelon, and his resulting death in the Pyranee Mountains at the hands of the Saracens. Roland was a loyal defender of his liege Lord Charlemagne and his code of conduct a description of the meaning of chivalry.
The Knights Code of Chivalry and the vows of Knighthood
The Knights Code of Chivalry described in the Song of Roland and an excellent representation of the Knights Codes of Chivalry are as follows:
„X	To fear God and maintain His Church
„X	To serve the liege lord in valour and faith
„X	To protect the weak and defenceless
„X	To give succour to widows and orphans
„X	To refrain from the wanton giving of offence
„X	To live by honour and for glory
„X	To despise pecuniary reward
„X	To fight for the welfare of all
„X	To obey those placed in authority
„X	To guard the honour of fellow knights
„X	To eschew unfairness, meanness and deceit
„X	To keep faith
„X	At all times to speak the truth
„X	To persevere to the end in any enterprise begun
„X	To respect the honour of women
„X	Never to refuse a challenge from an equal
„X	Never to turn the back upon a foe

Of the seventeen entries in the Knights Codes of Chivalry, according to the Song of Roland, at least 12 relate to acts of chivalry as opposed to combat.

The second, The Exhortation of 800 AD, was issued by Charlemagne in the year he became Emperor.
Love God Almighty with all your heart and all your powers
Love your neighbour as yourself
Give alms to the poor as ye are able
Entertain strangers
Visit the sick
Be merciful to prisoners
Do ill to no man, nor consent unto such as do, for the receiver is as bad as the thief
Forgive as ye hope to be forgiven
Redeem the captive
Help the oppressed
Defend the cause of the widow and orphan
Render righteous judgement
Do not consent to any wrong
Persevere not in wrath
Shun excess in eating and drinking
Be humble and kind
Serve your liege lord faithfully
Do not steal
Do not perjure yourself, nor let others do so
Envy, hatred and violence separate men from the Kingdom of God
Defend the Church and promote her cause.

Six centuries later, the Duke of Burgundy defined for the Order of the Golden Fleece the knight's twelve chivalric virtues as ~
faith, charity, justice, sagacity, prudence, temperance, resolution, truth, liberality, diligence, hope and valour