[Western] Questions about non-calendar events

Master Phelim Gervase called Pug seneschal at ansteorra.org
Thu Feb 21 17:18:17 PST 2008

> > People sign in and therefore are covered by SCA

> > insurance because they are either a member and you

> > take thier number, or they sign a waiver.  NMS is

> > charged for anyone who pays full price to get into

> > an event.  If there is no charge there is no NMS.

> > If adults are $5 and kids are $4, the kids don't pay

> > NMS.

> > Does that make sense?

> I have been told twice by senechals that because we

> doing a off calendar event that the surcharge wasn't

> needed.

That is true with one stipulation. If the off-calendar event is published in
the Kingdom newsletter it has to charge NMS as I read the Society Kingdom
Treasurer Handbook which is referenced below. This of course does not
include non-SCA advertisements.

> Also at the big meeting at Bonwick I thought

> I heard if the None groups wanted to hold off

> calendar events through their new groups they could

> and they wouldn't have to charge surcharge or turn

> in reports. This was presented as a plus to their

> dissolution.

I do not remember this being said by those presenting things to the group.
We told them that they could have as many off-calendar events as they
wanted, but that does not excuse them from reporting or waivers.

The plus in relation to reporting that I remember was that they would not be
required to have local officers and the associated paperwork. This would be
the responsibility of the group officer which the local person may be a
deputy of.

> So you are saying if the people of Big Springs

> decided to hold their Crossroads Melees and Trelac

> approved it as a non calendar sanctioned event the

> surcharge would be charged?? What else would they

> have to do?

Here are excerpts from the Kingdom Seneschal's Handbook. Please refer to the
full handbook when in doubt.

When is Non-Member Surcharge (NMS) charged?

*         All Kingdom Calendar events and Multi-Group Calendar Events are
required to collect the NMS.

*         If no money is collected at a Kingdom Calendar or Multi-Group
Calendar event, no NMS.

*         Off-Calendar Events are not required to collect the NMS.

Waivers must be signed by the event attendee or a combat participant if
they:

*         Are not a member of the SCA, OR

*         Do not have a blue membership card with them that denotes both SCA
membership and a signed Consent to Participate on file at Corporate

Events (require waivers)

*         The Roster Waiver signed at gate by attendees without a blue
membership card with them.

*         Minor Waivers for any minors in attendance

*         Minor Permission forms for minors in attendance without their
parent or legal guardian.

Official fighter practices and demos (require waivers)

*         Roster and Minor Waivers are required as above for participants,
but not bystanders.

*         Combat participants must sign a waiver at their local fighter
practice each time they attend if they do not have a blue membership card
with them

Off-Calendar Events

Awards and events of long-term significance cannot occur at Off-Calendar
Events. Other activities are still permitted, including combat, archery,
feasting, and general merriment. Off-Calendar Events are not required to
collect the NMS, but Event Reports and waivers must still be submitted as
required for Kingdom Calendar Events.

Regarding when NMS is charged according to the Society Kingdom Treasurer
Handbook:

For every event published in your Kingdom Newsletter with the site address,
date and time and that has a site fee, the NMS is to be collected. The NMS
submission form must accompany NMS funds being sent to the Corporation. NMS
is to be collected for every event published in your Kingdom newsletter that
collects a site fee and has the following information in the event ad: Site
Address and date and time of event.

We have very few off-calendar events that publish in the Blackstar which is
why there is the general statement from the quick reference in the
Seneschal's handbook. I will work with the Kingdom Exchequer to make sure
that I get it updated properly or a clarification that the handbook is
referring to a Kingdom Calendar event.

I hope that helps clear up the confusion. When in doubt, ask the Treasurer
since NMS falls under their responsibility.

In Service,

Master Phelim Gervase called Pug

Kingdom Seneschal - Ansteorra