[Western] Questions about non-calendar events

willowjonbardc at juno.com willowjonbardc at juno.com
Thu Feb 21 11:29:28 PST 2008

While no Kingdom award can be given at a non calendar event there are ways around it if you have a willing Crown. They can "promise" an award and "give" it out at the first official event they are at.

 In the ancient days there was a saying that the only award that an individual has to be presence to receive is Peerage. It is not necessary for the Crown to be presence, only their dully recognize deputy.

 Also if you had a Crown who was willing you could get them read at Crown Tourney or some other "Kingdom Event" and they could be given out at your event. Legally they would be listed on the date and place of the "kingdom event".

I have heard of reigns in Middle where at Crown Tourney they have a Herald who stand to the side and "reads" awards. They are then put into packets to go to the local groups and be given out whenever.

Please remember a non calendar event that is sanctioned by a legal SCA group is a SCA event and must follow the rules about autocrats having membership and officers to supervise activities and you must follow SCA rules regarding alcohol and young people. If you use money over a certain amount, I am unclear of the amount, then you must go through the groups Finical committee and follow the rules regarding SCA money. This also goes for reporting. Your local senechal and exchequer can give you the details. Please ask about waivers and surcharge. These policies sometimes change and you are doing a sanction SCA event you need to be up on the current rule.

In my 39+ years in the SCA I have seen lots of changes so every time you start to autocrat you need to find out about the current rules and policies. It is a good idea to follow all the policies even if you are told it is not necessary. It will teach you how to autocrat a official SCA event. Little non calendar event are wonderful things to learn on.
(If anyone want a list of small event that have been successful over the years write me and I will send it to you.)

The Black Star limits the number of free pages a group can have. If your local group doesn't mind they can be used for a off calendar event. Given the rules set down by the Kingdom Chronicler you can purchase space in the Black Star. Many groups are purchasing ads in the Black Star rather than using their free pages to support the Black Star.

It is not necessary to point out that the event is an off calendar event. I have seen groups that have stated in their web site that they have three official events a year and they never tell anyone which one is the off calendar event. It is an official event it just means that the Crown can do no business at it unless they decide prior to the event to have it listed as an on-calendar event.

The rules about giving awards and doing official business were created by the national SCA but the rules limiting the numbers of on calendar events were created by the Crowns of Ansteorra and can be changed by the Crowns if they follow simple rules. The one rule they can't avoid is that "official" event have to be publish as such.

I am not sure about policy but at this time it appears that off calendar events and household events can be listed on the e-calendar. Do remember this is not the official calendar of the Kingdom of the SCA. Policies concerning the Web calendar can change at a moment notice.

If you have a Non sanction event that means it is not an SCA event. It is private and means that you can not claim it is sponsored in any way by the SCA. You are not covered by the insurance and you can not use SCA money. You can not use the SCA name. I think you can state it is not an SCA event. These is something you will need to look into as to the current policies at the time you do your event.

On the other hand you do not have to send in reports or have people sign waivers.

Duchess Willow de Wisp OP
Autocrating for 35 years