[Western] Dissolution of the Western Region and Several Shires

Michael Ekelmann gozer87 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 7 06:25:55 PST 2008

Good Gentles,
I am Fearghus Macildubh from Mendersham.  I must admit
that I am pretty incensed at the decision to dissolve
the shires. The regions, as I understand it, are
administrative districts, so seem to exist more at the
convenience of the Crown. But the shires were built up
by the efforts of the populace and sustained by them
and to discount those efforts and the history of the
groups "for our own good" seems ill-advised at best.
Harsh words, certainly, but as a paying member and
shire officer who has spent sweat equity in keeping
the shire going, I feel as if my efforts for the past
two years have been for naught.
If we as a kingdom are in a membership crisis, how is
the kingdom helped by making participation more
difficult?  What am I to tell prospective members,
most of whom who are college students and junior
enlisted, you must drive 100 miles to go to an
official group meeting?  Even in a thinly settled
region, that seems a bit much.
I will be leaving this fair kingdom in a few months on
His Mundane Majesty's service, ne'er to return, and I
had hoped to carry naught but happy memories.  That
this turn of events must be my last memory of
Ansteorra grieves me to no end.  I will carry fond
memories of all the gentles I have met, reveled and
fought with in my short time in the kingdom.
I remain,

Yours in Service
Lord Fearghus Macildubh

It is the quiet pig that is having the best meal.