[Western] News Flash: Merchants Up in Arms

rizardo dartusio rizardodartusio at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 27 16:41:58 PDT 2008

This news flash is brought to you by The Boar's Head Tavern in Trelac.  "Raining or shining, we're always pouring.  Come in tonight and let the friendliest barmaids in the Shire pour you a draft  of your favorite beer or ale.  Our ale is good for what ails you."

And now for the news:

Local merchants and artisans are up in arms.  It seems that quite a few foreign tradesmen and merchants have moved into the former Western Region and set up shops along the Bonwicke wall, forming a market of sorts.  Area Scotsmen, true to their thrifty reputation, have enthusiastically welcomed these new merchants because of their low prices.   But others, including local merchants and artisans, claim that this "Wall Mart" is destroying the local economy and flooding the area with cheap imported goods.  Several local merchants have already gone out of business since the opening of "The Wall Mart,"  as it is being called, and more may follow.
Agnes Weaver of the local weavers guild, states "we can't even buy the wool for what they are selling the completed product for."  Robert Wheeler who comes from a long line of wheel wrights, has already laid off his two apprentices and may have to close shop entirely if things don't improve.  Wheeler claims his wheels last longer than the foreign imports, but says that "now-a-days people are just looking at price not quality, and the wheels at "The Wall Mart" cost less."  Wheeler adds, "It's a sad day when local tradesman can't make an honest living, because of low cost foreign goods."  He thinks the Kingdom should do something to stop the import of cheap foreign products before it's too late.  "Before you know it we won't have anyone in the region that even knows how to repair a wheel, much less make one.  Then where will we be?  Without wheels, we won't have carts, and without carts we won't be able to transport our goods except on the
 back of a donkey.  When that happens, we'll be just dragging our asses around all over the place."