[Western] Quiet

tomjenkins tomjenkins at suddenlink.net
Wed Jul 2 23:38:54 PDT 2008

Ahhh, but the pen really IS mightier than the sword... Edward Bulwer-Lytton coined the adage in the mid 1800s, and since then it has found its way into some of our most popular mediums... literature, movies, even music. Why, the phrase itself even adorns the wall of the Library of Congress.

The sword's popularity (outside of the SCA, of course), alas, has all but diminished, leaving us with wall decorations, glass cases and decorative dress accessories.

The written word, after all, is man's greatest accomplishment... or so I'm told. I'm still holding out to see how it does in the long run against duct tape. Besides, those of us that study in Asian matters know the idea has been a key principle of Zen Buddhists sincle long before Lytton picked up on the idea :)

And, before I forget... I'd like to offer special thanks to Centurion Gerold and Sir Britta, both of Blacklake, for their help with padding and strapping my new helm Tuesday night. Gerold had the honor of putting the first dent (small, but very distinguished) in my melon-protector, a fact I'm sure I'll pass on to my great grandchildren... once my ears stop ringing lol

Ld. Thomas Logan Macleod
the remnants of Crossrode Keep