[Western] "respectful"

rizardo dartusio rizardodartusio at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 13:47:07 PDT 2008

As some of the newer members of the SCA (we first met you at 12th Night where I was fencing in your honor), we often struggle to learn how things are done in the SCA, and we have come to the conclusion that the democratic system we live under in the mundane world is not the way things are done in the SCA.  Furthermore, we have gained the impression that these differences are due to us trying to emulate the ways things were done in the Middle Ages.  Therefore, it was quite interesting to read your comments about the history of Ansteorran government as it relates to the model of Kingship from the 11th and 12th centuries.

One of the things we hear bandied around the SCA is our desire to recreate a world of more honor and chivalry than exists in our own mundane world.  Your description of the ideals behind the establishment of Ansteorra seem to speak to these ideals.  One gets the impression that we may have lost sight of some of the lofty ideals behind the "Dream."  This not surprising.   In the human experience we often find that while we may be initially attracted to a new person, place, thing,  we also bring with us our "emotional baggage" and immediately try to change that person, place or thing to fit with what we are more familiar.

Thank you for sharing a bit of history with us.  It does sound like it was a kinder and gentler world in the past.  Let us hope if that was the case,  what was lost can be found again.

Rizardo d'Artusio and Celonise DuCharme