[Ansteorra-announce] Medieval Faire or Crown?

Ulf Gunnarsson ulfie at cox.net
Fri Mar 11 01:17:03 PST 2005

Greetings, oh you oddly dressed people.  Are you in a play or something?

Twenty nine years ago the first Medieval Faire was held in Norman,
Oklahoma.  Some S.C.A. people put on a demo at one of the early Faire's
and out of this came the Shire of, and then, the Barony of Namron.  And
the S.C.A. has been there ever since.

So if you aren't going to Crown, how about coming to a demo? Do you
remember being 12 years old and daydreaming about being a knight or a
juggler or the monarch of a great kingdom?  There are about 300,000 such
people coming to the Faire, and the S.C.A. is putting on three solid
days of demo at it.  We in Namron thank all of you who help us with this
every year, but we could always use a few more people.

We need fighters, especially ones who don't mind fighting off and on for
three days.  We will gladly take dancers and performers as well.  We
will have an Arts and Science tent with many things on display and some
folks to explain it all.  We will have siege engines, an armory, and
folks making arrows. If that is not enough, we'll have a castle wall
with functioning gate for you fighters.

Think of what you do in the S.C.A. and how you would explain it to a
modern person.  That is what we will be doing, all day, every day.  We
really could use the help.

If you are planning to bring anything that takes up space, such as a
pavilion, please contact us before the Faire, as the space we get does
have its limits.  Lord Magnus StrongAxe is the coordinator this year and
is trying to arrange it such that any of our pavilions along the crowd
flow are working pavilions where the crowd is encouraged to ask
questions.  We will have a hospitality tent for you to store your gear
and get a snack and something to drink during the day.

Norman is on I-35, almost in the middle of Oklahoma.  It is three or
four hours to Wichita, KS and the same to Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX.  You
probably drive at least that far for events, and demos are more fun is
some ways (like overacting your "death" on the field).  A map to the
Faire can be seen at:
http://medievalfair.occe.ou.edu/location.html

If you have any questions, Her Excellency or I will be happy to answer
them, as will our Medieval Faire Liaison (Lord Magnus), and our
seneschal (Honorable Lord Barat).  Please come support the S.C.A. as the
visitors from several states descend upon us.

Ulf Gunnarsson
Baron of Namron