ANST - planning calendar

John Ruble jruble at urocor.com
Tue Feb 3 08:35:49 PST 1998

> > first ONE is just that, 1 [one, uno, etc...].  If you wish to choose
> the
> > supposed birth of Christ as the dividing line in measuring centuries
> it
> > gets pretty rediculous to divide it down to a gnat's hair
> difference.

As a good non-cleric, I measure time in years since the king took power.
In the SCA, this means it's always year zero...

My two cents: The first year of a system is usually called year one, not
year zero.  The calendars we use are based upon this, and set the birth
of Christ at the end of 1 B.C.  A week after his birth it was 1 A.D.
Any good history book covering that time period is almost compelled to
give an explanation of this.  I'll try to give you some titles tomorrow.

As for actual birthdate, his birth was set by the Church at the Yuletide
of a certain year.  When the first calendar system based on Christ's
birth came out, it was inaccurate. It didn't fully account for sidereal
vs. solar year.  The next calendar system took these into account, but
we had lost some time on the previous books. Now there's leap days and
leap seconds and leap years without leap days....  I think a bunch of
leaprechauns wrote it...

Ulf Gunnarsson, Rocket Scientist
*---These are my opinions only, and not the opinions of my employers,
*---spouse, or family doctor.  So there.  Contents may settle during
*---shipping.  Send spelling complaints to ulf at urocor.com