ANST - Q? - War Tabards

Dennis J Dolan djdolan at juno.com
Sun Feb 8 15:05:44 PST 1998

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998 22:06:06 -0600 (CST) Tim McDaniel <tmcd at crl.com>
writes:
>On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, j'lynn yeates <jyeates at bga.com> wrote:
>> instead of the tabard idea, why not *wide* war-armbands
>> (perhaps and/or helmet bands ????)  ... designed large
>> enough that the black star is clearly visible ... suitable
>> to mark friend/foe.
>>
>> such a solution would satisfy both of the philosophical
>> camps - the "personal/house/group livery" segment (which i
>> would support) and the kingdom "grande army" segment
>> (which, as has been brought up as rather OP ...).
>
>I'd reply to "Why not?" with "Because I currently have no
>period evidence of it".  It would not satisfy me, for one --
>simply shuffling the inauthenticity to some other part of
>the body doesn't seem satisfying.  I'd also favour tape
>marking to go too, for the same reason, and more research on
>how period armies dealt with the problem.
>
>Then again, I'm a non-combatant, so maybe my opinion should
>carry less weight (as if it carries much weight now).
>
>Daniel "and then there's the Far Side solution: Shirts and
>Skins" de Lincolia
>--
Although I like the 'Shirts and Skins solution, I wouldn't like to be
skins (to cold) but I believe the period solution is the same as modern,
dress like your friends or die.  Not only does it look imposing on the
field to have all in Gold and Black, it also makes identification easy,
(Sir Keif ask Gary about the last Outlands War, when he wore green).  If
we have allies, we should know their kingdom color and of course it would
be nice if we knew theirs. )  If you cannot get a tabard, of course
arm-bands and sashes would help, but, people in combat do tend to get in
a hurry and make mistakes. Fratricide is not, has not, been pretty, but
it is probably period.

"Friendly fire isn't"
'Teamwork is important, it gives them someone else to shoot at'

doran, KSCA