ANST - You know what's coming

Scott Powers spowers at telepath.com
Wed Feb 18 06:53:39 PST 1998

Much discussion has ensued about how a Principality would reduce work at
the Kingdom level.  This misses the point that Regions do exactly the same
thing.  We already have regions.  We already have regional officers who
reduce the Kingdom Officers work load (or they are supposed to).  Kingdom
Offiers would still have to travel to far away events, with or without
Principalities.  The Crown would still have to travel a lot.  A Prince and
Princess could reduce the Crown's need to attend some events to give
awards, but we have Landed Barons and Baroness who do precisly that as well.

As far as work reduction is concerned, this will actually produce more
work, and require more people who can be depended on to do the required
jobs.  For example, the Regional Chronicler would translate into the
Principality Chronicler.  And instead of supervising the local Chroniclers,
s/he would have to supervise the local officers AND produce a Principality
Newletter.  Something similar would occur for each of the other officers.
This would be great if you have lots of responsible people willing to take
those jobs and are anxious to do them.  This would be other-than-great if
the workers you have are then worked into the groumd, or you were forced to
settle for less than responsible people, or worse, had none at all.  From
what I have seen lately, even at the Ansteorran level, it is often hard to
find the right people to do some jobs.  With the limited human resources
found at the principality level, how difficult would it be to fill all the
required jobs with qualified people (who were not already burned out from
overwork)?  Pretty hard, in my humble opinion.

As far as rank and file travel to distant events, no one has to travel to
far away events unless they are 1) peers 2) wanna-be peers, 3) Kingdom
Officers, 4) Landed Barons and Baroness'.   And there are certainly limits
to this.  And it is questionable if a principality would reduce this any.

I am neither for nor against principality status.  There may be valid
reasons to form a principality.  But much of what I am seeing offered as
reasons is less than convincing, at least in my opinion.

Rumil