ANST - P-word lead-in

Martin, Brian bmartin at origin.ea.com
Wed Feb 18 08:15:45 PST 1998

Lea asked:
>it seems from what all i have read the "lion" theme seems most
popular....any particular reason for this?   Lea

Pendaran Responds:

There are probably a couple of reasons for the popularity of the lion
theme. The order of the Lions of Ansteorra are supposed to - and
hopefully do a good job of - representing what is best in the SCA. The
order is well respected and people may well want to associate
themselves with the ideal of striving to be the best of what the SCA
should be.

Also, lions are regal, majestic animals that symbolize strength and
courage. Who wouldn't want to be associate with those qualities?

Finally, lions were a very popular theme in medieval culture for the
reasons that I just mentioned above. One often sees lions in medieval
heraldry, poetry and art, so it would make sense that a very medieval
theme should accompany our name.

Anyway, those are my opinions. Take 'em for what they're worth. They
and a quarter may get you a cup of coffee somewhere. :)

Pendaran