ANST - P-word lead-in

Galen W. Bevel galenbv at ix.netcom.com
Wed Feb 18 15:44:23 PST 1998

Scott Powers wrote:

> For the record:  Ten years ago we published around 1200 copies of the Black
> Star.  Today, the numbers are about the same, maybe a few higher, but not
> much.  I have heard a lot of talk about all this growth we have had.  I am
> not seeing it.
>
> Rumil

This is even more true if you look at the number of groups.  When I was
Kingdom Seneschal , oh so many years ago, we were under going a crises
in the number of groups.  At one time I believe we had over 50, with
about the same total Kingdom population as now.  The crises was very
small groups that really couldn't support themselves, but were still a
drain on the time and effort of the Kingdom officers that had to oversee
them.  They also added to the overall number of events held each year,
as each one invariably wnated to host a couple per year.  That has
reduced to a more comfortable level of about 40 now, as Kief has
mentioned.

I agree that population pressure is NOT a reason to create a new
Principality in this Kingdom, at this time.  However, neither do I think
that those who want a Principality are "anti-Ansteorra".  There is one
reason to do it, even if there is no population problem, even if it will
mean more work, etc.  That reason would be if the people of a region
decided that they _wanted_ to do it.  I am not sure whether a
principality is "needed" at this time.  I do think I would enjoy living
in one.  And I will snarl with a quite ugly face at anyone who might
challenge my loyalty to my Kingdom because I hold this belief (g).

Galen K.