ANST - Principality Arms Discussion

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Fri Feb 20 09:06:40 PST 1998

Lyonel wrote:
> Since we're talking about a principality, I don't see any need to
> discuss crowns.

I disagree.  While p-words don't have to become k-words,
most in fact eventually do, so it's best to consider it from the start.
Dranchenwald didn't, and did a big cluttered design, and then
they were going kingdom and had to find a place to stick a crown
where it wouldn't look too out of place.

> Sounds cool, but you've just described the principal charge on the arms of
> An Tir:  a black lion rampant wearing a BBB red crown.

Considering that An Tir has the #1 best kingdom arms in the
Society, I consider that quite a benefit.

... tho I thought were were considering a *black* field
with a *gold* lion, the "counterchange".

Another idea.  This is something that was done quote a bit
in period (especially in Germany) but hardly ever in the
SCA.  The Duchy of Hesse is a famous example.  Because it's
not often done in the SCA, it tends to be freer of conflict
than most plain-tinctured lions: barry, like "A lion barry
sable and Or".  That means that the lion is colored with
horizontal stripes alternating black and gold.  Now, most
people look and say "ewww!", but look at enough period
examples and you see it's fine -- our modern perceptions
aren't a good match for period.  *And* it's distinctive --
if you don't recognize it or remember it, the visibility
musta been *really* bad.

For a two-colored charge, a red field is best for contrast.
The crown and wreath would be put elsewhere, like on a
chief.

Daniel "what's black and gold and flattens your army?" de Lincolia
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work account.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us ... is wrong tool.  Never use this.