ANST - Principality Arms Discussion

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Sun Feb 22 20:54:30 PST 1998

> Crowned: I'll write another message about that.

Ah, yes, I owed y'all this.

I spoke to a highly-placed source near Laurel Queen of Arms
who wishes to remain anonymous.

I asked about whether a beast wearing a crown had a
significant-enough crown for the rules.  Jael^H^H^H^H My
source checked the rules, which I had neglected to do, and
found

    By Society convention, all branch arms must include one
    or more laurel wreaths as a significant element in the
    design.  Kingdoms must also include a crown or coronet
    in the design.  Principalities may include a crown or
    coronet, but are not required to do so.

Lau^H^H^H^H^H My informant pointed out that the *laurel
wreath* is required to be "significant", which means (by
precedent) it can't be held, worn, be a semy on a bordure,
or whatever.  That's *not* said about a crown / coronet.  In
her opinion, then, we could have a lion's head crowned, or a
full lion crowned.  (Or perhaps a mouse dancing the Tarantella
on a demi-mini-coronetlette.)

Now mind you of several factors always to be kept in mind
when asking heraldic questions!  My source was speaking
unofficially and off-the-cuff.  There may be a precedent
neither of us has found.  The SCA College of Arms commenters
might have something to say -- *they* might raise a ruckus
and induce Laurel to rule against the practice.  There will
likely be a new Laurel (or three) before any p10y [1] gets
name and arms there, and who knows what *they* might think?

But it looks like a decent basis to start thinking about.

[1] p10y: "internationalization" is often written "i18n"
because people get tired of typing that long word.
Similarly, I coined "p10y" because I don't like to type
"principality".  I'll use "p-word" too.

Daniel de Lincolia
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work address.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us is wrong tool.  Never use this.