ANST - Principality Arms Discussion

stddly at SHSU.edu stddly at SHSU.edu
Mon Feb 23 17:16:11 PST 1998

Heilsa Daniel and all other Good Folk...

Kief here....again writing form HE Lorraine's account...

Daniel typed then opined...

>On Fri, 20 Feb 1998 stddly at SHSU.edu wrote:

Ye...that I did...as follows...

>> How about: "Sable, a lion's head crowned erased and
>> affronte', within a laurel wreath, and on a chief
>> embattled Or, two mullets of 5 greater and five lesser
>> points sable."

>Herald fu to follow.
>I suggest "a lion's face".  That's a lion's head "caboshed:
>Applied to an animal's head when shown affronty but cut off
>clean behind the ears so that no part of the neck is
>visible.  The term is no applied to the heads of lions or
>leopards; for those the word 'face' is used."
>(Brooke-Little, _An Heraldic Alphabet)

Sorry to disagree but... I feel that a lion's head erased enhances the visual
effect of the mane... Emphasizing the visual difference from a leopard's or
catamount's face... "The distinction between the head and the face can be more
appropriately consided in the case of the leopard" (A.C. Fox-Davies, _A
Complete Guid To Heraldry_) 'Tis just an artistic quibble on my part...

>Crowned: I'll write another message about that.

I feel it could go either way....either the lion's head crowned or the crown
"floating" above the head...

>I notice that the crown and the head (and the wreath and the
>chief) are all gold.  I'd prefer contrasting colors for a
>head and a crown, for visibility.

Good point on the contrast... If the crown remains "attached" then Gules... If
the crown is separated, then let it remain Or...

>Embattled: if you meant this to have Deep Significance,
>that often degrades the style and composition of a design.
>A plain line would likely be fine.

"Deep Significance" eh..? Degrades...huh..? "Phhhhhhhhhbbbbbbtttttttt!!" So,
there....! I _like_ crenallations... Still, you may just have a valid point
about the plain line being visually simpler....*sigh*

>On a chief two mullets (stars): I need to go microwave some
>crow.  In period, the usual practice was to put three
>widgets on a chief to fill the space better.  There are
>examples of one (sometimes long & skinny, like a lion
>passant), two, four, or five.  In _Anglo-Norman Armory II_,
>however, the most common case for mullets is two, not three.

Crow is _such_ a bitter dish... Skip it and go straight to apple tarts...*grin*

>Mullets of greater and lesser points: utterly unknown to
>period armory.  Please don't.

My well be unknown in period armory....but is recognized all over the Known
World... In this one case I'll say "period be hanged" keep the Ansteorran stars
on the arms...`

>Please don't go too far.

I concur... the KISS principal is a good rule to follow... Although I _still_
like the embattled chief....

>Daniel de Lincolia

Kief av Kiersted......