ANST - The BoD Incident?

James Crouchet jtc at io.com
Thu Feb 26 12:53:56 PST 1998

On 21 Feb 98, Tim McDaniel wrote:

> There was the Estrella [War] Compact, in which 11 of the
> then 13 crowns (except Middle and Meridies) signed a treaty
> recognizing each others' existance, titles, styles, and
> awards, no matter what (i.e., in case there was secession).
> They also issued demands of the Board.

And as far as I know, that document is still in force, though seldom
thought of nowadays.

> A side note that swelled to become the major point: the
> financials.  The Board at their January meeting had had
> financial figures in front of them.  One member in the
> audience asked to look at the figures and was refused.
> Other members went to the SCA offices over a period of
> months and were refused.  The problem with that is By-Laws
> X, "The books of account may be inspected by any member or
> member's agent, for any reasonable purpose at any reasonable
> time.".  Eventually, the 17 of the Committee to Save Our
> Society took SCA Inc. to court (Santa Clara County, CA --
> Milpitas, the corporate headquarters, are there).  The SCA
> counter-argument was ... well, I'll omit the details, but it
> was thoroughly lame.

The basis seemed to be the contention that only BoD members are
"members" of the SCA. So what does that make us, you ask? According
to them, subscribers to their magazine (TI). I do not credit that
even they believed this, making their stance not just lame but
dishonest.

I have a poem I wrote at the time, all full of treason and sedition
(and a bit of good natured personal slander). I will see if I can
locate it for your edification.

Christian Dore