[Ansteorra] Principality?

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 23 17:38:00 PDT 2006

On Apr 23, 2006, at 7:12 PM, Baronman at aol.com wrote:

> Last time the "P" word was spoken on this list-
> #1 Several people lost their temper
> #2 Name calling and bad word were exchanged
> #3 Several people became so irritated, they permanently left the site
> #4 The moderator eventually shut down the thread.
>
> Lets just save every bodies delete button finger a lot of wear and
> tear and
> leave it alone
> Bors

Thank you, Bors. That's a very succinct recap of the previous thread
(and, I fear, harbinger of this one).

Bottom line: adding more political layers to the kingdom doesn't
reduce anyone's travel. The folks who only attend local events will
continue to only attend local events. The folks who travel will
continue to travel.

If anything, it will *increase* travel for many people who will want
to see (or compete in) the Principality lists (Coronet, Princess'
Champion, etc.) *and* the Kingdom lists (Crown, Queen's Champion,
etc.). Note that this also further congests the calendar of events.

If "increased cost of travel" or "congested calendar" is your
argument for Principality, then forget it. That dog won't hunt.

Just as a rule of thumb: if your reasons for doing *anything* in the
SCA are negative ones (creating a household because you don't get
along with the existing one, for example... or creating a
Principality because gasoline is expensive), then rethink your
reasons. I personally know of many things (events put together,
groups formed, etc.) which were attempted in this kingdom for
negative reasons, and I know of few which succeeded long-term (or
"none", depending on your definition of success).

If, on the other hand, you have positive reasons for doing a thing
(including forming a Principality), then... go for it! :-)

Michael Silverhands