Trust and caution Re: [Ansteorra] Measuring Change...

Genie Barrett maggie.gene at justinanimator.com
Sun Apr 23 22:43:14 PDT 2006

At 09:59 PM 4/23/2006, you wrote:
>I'm glad you had a good experience!  Congrats on becoming the Bard
>of Elfsea from a prior Rapier Champion of Elfsea!
>
>In general, people in the SCA and especially Ansteorrans look out
>for each other and especially look out for women and
>children.  There are always a few bad apples, though - people who
>don't conform to our standards of behavior.  The SCA is not a crime
>free zone.  Not only might there be human hazards, no matter how
>rare, but we camp in some fairly primitive areas and there are
>natural hazards to consider.  So be sure to keep an eye out for your
>kids.  If we all do that, we'll keep it just as safe as you're describing!
>
>No offense intended and I hope nobody takes any!

None taken, and she was not allowed to "run wild" as many children
can be.  I just knew, that if I didn't see her for five minutes or
so, that I needn't freak and go searching.

Now, if it had been 20 minutes, I'd have gone to see what was going
on, but that's a small site, and I could look out over most of the
areas she wanted to play in and never leave the bardic competition.

No, I will not just allow any child, much less a five year old, just
disappear at an event, but I also knew that she was in good hands and
having a ball.

Maggie