[Ansteorra] Re: the dreaded P word, again

Morgan Buchanan morganbuchanan at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 28 03:25:09 PDT 2006

If I read a map correctly, the entirety of the Kingdom of the West is all
Princepalities.  If I read a map correctly, the old Atenveldt prior to it
giving birth to Artemisia was all Princepalities.  There is precedence and
nothing wrong with it, for what it's worth.

I do not think that's "us" but I also don't think that the BoD would care if
that's what we decided to do  and we did it right.  We'd have viscounts and
vicountesses sticking out of our ears.  It wouldn't take many years before
we had more viscounts than centurions.

My thoughts, and it's not argumentation, I'm just curious.

I don't see how a princepality saves the populace money, unless the ultimate
goal is for that princepality to break away.  And if that ultimate goal is
to break away, only then, after the break, do I see a cost savings of any
kind on the populace at large, because only then is a more "real" border
drawn.  If someone who believes thus could enlighten me offline, I'd
appreciate it.

I can deffinately see how a princepality helps serve the kingdom better,
because it provides a larger royal presence so theoretically more royalty
gets to more events, and therefore the populace sees royalty at a greater
number of events.

But if the goal of the princepality is NOT to break away, I simply can't
see, long term or short term, how that saves anybody money, unless less
travel and insularism are encouraged.  And who'd want to do THAT?

None of this means in any way, shape or form that I think a princepality is
a good or bad thing.  If some reasonably identifiable area of the kingdom
wants to become a princepality, they need to go about it from within.  The
kingdom as a whole doesn't need to decide "We need X, Y and Z to become a
princepality."  Until that kind of grass-roots work begins, I see this as an
interesting discussion, and wonderfully theoretical.

I don't see this discussion has been unconstructive.  In fact, the least
constructive of it has been the call for it to cease.  Those having the
discussion itself have been polite and non-inflametory.  Just because it
went badly last time doesn't mean it will do so again.

Of course, I moved to Ansteorra from a Princepality that has since become a
kingdom in her own right (Northshield) and I know the process CAN be handled
well, consideratly, with aplomb, civility and reason.  I believe that
Ansteorrans are up to the task.

Morgan