[Ansteorra] The real problem . . .

Lori Campbell countesskat at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 28 12:40:55 PDT 2006

> But it is obvious that a stagnant population is not
> working.

I don't know that I think we're stagnant.  When I go
to events nowadays I'm overwhelmed by the number of
new faces (which is in no way a bad thing).  If our
numbers are staying consistent I'd be more inclined to
think that we're losing older members as fast as we
gain new ones.

I went out to a birthday dinner recently and was
surprised to realize that almost all of them "used to
play" SCA (there were 20+ people there).  Maybe any
plans for recruitment could be off-set by a game plan
for keeping the members we have.

> Moonschadowe is an example of a region with an
> identity that formally recognized it's
> differences.

I'm glad you mentioned Mooneschadowe because I was
thinking about that in regards to this topic earlier.
Their provincial bid was something as unique and
different in the kingdom as a principality bid would
be.  Or perhaps prinicipalities would be even more so,
considering the consequences of creating one would
affect hundreds, not just 50 people.

I think if any region wants to become a principality
they will probably have to show the kingdom it isn't a
high-risk situation.  I think it's safe to say they'll
have to overcome the same kinds of hurdles as
Mooneschadowe, up-to and including long-term
exceptionally good behavior, a strong majority of
populace members supporting it and a solid track
record of meeting better-than-minimum corporate
requirements.

Kat MacLochlainn
Wiesenfeuer