[Ansteorra] The real problem . . .loss of seasoned members

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 28 13:32:14 PDT 2006

You are right about retention...
it is really what we need we can get
 all the people in the world...but if
we don't keep them we will just be a revolving door
and wear out those who stay...

If you looked at the seasoned members who left...
what would you find the reasons were?

Some couldn't deal with the changes in the SCA
(wasn't what it was when they came in)

Some had to concentrate on their lives and careers
(School, families, sickness, etc)

Some put so much into the SCA that they neglected
themselves and their responsibilites.
(at some point if you are spending your housing, food
or other money that should maintain your security, on
the SCA...you will have to stop)

Some just grew out of it...

and some were driven out by usually ongoing
conflicts...just didn't want to put up with the
sh** any longer...it became not worth their time
and effort...

I'm sure there are other reasons...but this is
what I've heard and seen...

Personally if I were driven out...it would be because
of people who were in it for themselves....and who
could not truely be "community" members.
They put their own aggrandizement and visions
above the support of the community as it's evolving.
They don't care about the SCA or the people in it
they just want to play their little game...no matter
what effects it has on others.

But I ain't going nowhere...

Cause I know enough people who are good folks
and community members who care about each other
and the SCA...and all I have to do is focus on them...
and help them grow...and continue our mutual support network...

There are many more of them than there are the "bad" ones...

Accentuate the Positive....

LDeerSlayer

PS I agree 100% on your take about what takes to make a principality...

Lori Campbell <countesskat at yahoo.com> wrote: > But it is obvious that a stagnant population is not
> working.

I don't know that I think we're stagnant.  When I go
to events nowadays I'm overwhelmed by the number of
new faces (which is in no way a bad thing).  If our
numbers are staying consistent I'd be more inclined to
think that we're losing older members as fast as we
gain new ones.

I went out to a birthday dinner recently and was
surprised to realize that almost all of them "used to
play" SCA (there were 20+ people there).  Maybe any
plans for recruitment could be off-set by a game plan
for keeping the members we have.

> Moonschadowe is an example of a region with an
> identity that formally recognized it's
> differences.

I'm glad you mentioned Mooneschadowe because I was
thinking about that in regards to this topic earlier.
Their provincial bid was something as unique and
different in the kingdom as a principality bid would
be.  Or perhaps prinicipalities would be even more so,
considering the consequences of creating one would
affect hundreds, not just 50 people.

I think if any region wants to become a principality
they will probably have to show the kingdom it isn't a
high-risk situation.  I think it's safe to say they'll
have to overcome the same kinds of hurdles as
Mooneschadowe, up-to and including long-term
exceptionally good behavior, a strong majority of
populace members supporting it and a solid track
record of meeting better-than-minimum corporate
requirements.

Kat MacLochlainn
Wiesenfeuer