[Ansteorra] Keeping Members... period

Bre'nain / Noble noble at delafyeld.com
Sat Apr 29 19:22:01 PDT 2006

   Good Gentles, a plea

   There is much good being said about making the SCA interesting enough to hold on to those newer members.  The same thing can be said for those members that have been playing for 5-6 years in a group where leadership and direction are less than might be desired.
   I understand that it is ultimatly the responsibility of the individual to become and remain active in an all volunteer group.  I have been involved in many all volunteer groups over my many years, and know well these duties.  I have volunteered for many, many duties and services in the SCA over the years, and do not feel they are not appreciated.  Now, however, I find little appealling going on in our Barony.  The guilds are all but disbanded, there is little interest in the several officer positions available ( I have other, personal, reasons for no longer holding an office.), information flow to the populace often seems last minute and not organized.  Communication is vital to any volunteer group.
   As I write these words, I grieve in doing so.  I miss the Barony I was introduced to the SCA in; I miss the family that welcomed me and made me feel part of a dream.  I look now and see only some of those people, overworked for these many years, with little to look forward to, virtually leaderless for the last .... while.   Many others are just 'doing their own thing'.
   What is any group to do to keep members like me, and many others I can name, who have quit playing for the same or similar reasons.  The SCA has a dream to offer, and I want to find it again, and find my heart filled with that family love that was once there.
   Respectfully, Bre'nain MacGilla Pa'traic

Truthful words are not always beautiful;
beautiful words are not always truthful.
        -0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-
It is much easier to be critical than correct.
        -0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-
He who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
         From fortune cookies....