[Sca-cooks] Opinions was Crocodile was Magpies

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Mar 4 17:42:59 PST 2008

We've had these conversation over the years and if the archives
were available I'd refer you to those postings.
There have been hundreds of these posts regarding recipes, redactions,
authenticity,
food history, etc. But there are no archives so let me try to explain.
----

The point that Bear was trying to make and I in my earlier post when
asking for references and recipes
(as regards the Romans eating crocodiles) is
that we could say anything if this list was just a collection of
opinions, unsupported by research or facts.

We could pronounce that "I believe Henry VIII often ate crocodile, but
Anne Boleyn
didn't like it and that was the real reason that she lost her head.One
of the reasons that
Henry VIII went along with the split from Rome was over the eating of
crocodile on
holy days."
As for a source I could say that it's my opinion and that makes it
valid. Or I could
just refer to JM Barrie as my source.

This is not the game we play and anyone saying that Henry VIII ate
crocodile should expect
to be asked to produce research that stands up to scrutiny.

What one can do on this list is ask questions like "What do magpies
taste like?" or "does
anyone think that the Romans ate crocodiles in Classical Rome?"
What is likely to get one called out are assertions like
"Considering all the other unusual things (by modern standards) that the
upper class Romans consumed, I would be surprised that Crocodile and
snakes of various kinds are not among them."
What is that assertion based on? What have you read? What sources? Which
authors?
In Latin or translation?
So what's the proof, or in the case where's the proof of the crocodile
in the banquet?

You have to realize that a number of us do have the libraries and the
research skills and the time
to actually look into such things. Many of us have been collectors and
researchers for decades.
A number of us can reach over and withdraw numerous copies of Apicius
plus another
50 books on eating in the ancient world, agriculture, domestication of
animals, culinary histories, etc.
Some of us own everything that is available on medieval Chinese cuisine.
Others own everything
on Arabic or French or English, etc.When someone says something that
doesn't ring true, expect
that someone may in fact ask "What's the source or the recipe?" Where's
that beef?
And by the way Dalby's Food in the Ancient World From A to Z does not
list crocodiles as a food source!

Johnnae llyn Lewis