[Sca-cooks] BAD sources for historical cooks

Daniel Myers edoard at medievalcookery.com
Wed Mar 12 16:55:45 PDT 2008

On Mar 12, 2008, at 5:40 PM, Lilinah wrote:

> By bad sources, I don't mean out of period books, but sources which
> appear to present Medieval recipes and fail.
>
> We plan to show the students these books so they can see why they
> are not good.

While they're not recipe books, there are two titles on my personal
hit-list.  What makes them particularly insidious is that they're
both written for the general reader, and therefore are just the sort
of thing a newbie might pick up first.

The Englishman's Food, J.C. Drummond - Mixed in with all sorts of
wonderful information is wild speculation, and over-generalizations.
Not to mention that it perpetuates (and may have originated) the
moldy-meat myth.

Food in History, Reay Tannahill - not as bad the above, but the
speculations and generalizations are joined by hyperbole.

- Doc

--
  Daniel Myers