[Ansteorra-announce] VIKINGS INVADE STARGATE

Michael Scofield ivar_runamagi at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 15 19:12:38 PDT 2001

Greetings to Ansteorra from Ivar Runamagi of the Ansteorran Longship Company
in Bjornsborg.

Yes, Vikings will invade Stargate this summer. The Smithsonian Institute, in
conjunction with the Nordic Council and Volvo, has put together an exhibit
called "Vikings:the North Atlantic Saga" which will arrive in Ansteorra on
July 14 at the Houston Museum of Natural Sciences. The exhibit has been
assembled from museums all over the world and features many of the items we
all have seen in the books all of the "vikings" use for reference. Now we
get the chance to see those things close up and for real.

The exhibit will be at the museum from July 14 through October 14. If you
are the least bit interested in the Viking Age and the westward expansion of
the Norse to Iceland, Greenland and Vinland, this is a must see.

The Ansteorran Longship Company has been asked by the museum to put our
longboat, Skelmir, on display in the lobby for the entire run of the
exhibit. They have also asked our members to be at the museum every weekend
to discuss life in the Viking Age with museum visitors. We will be there!

If you live in an area with a Scandinavian club, check with them about bus
tours to the museum. Almost every Norse, Danish, Swedish, Icelandic, and
Finnish club in the state are planning to take several bus loads of people
to view the exhibit.

Check the web site of the museum for more information. They are at
www.hmns.org

There is a book about the exhibit available from most booksellers (cheaper
online) or at the museum bookstore.

If I can be of assistance, please feel free to contact me.

May you have calm seas before you and a fair wind at your back.

Hersir Ivar Runamagi, O.P.
Bjornsborg
Ansteorran Longship Company