[Ansteorra-announce] After Three Kings - from Pope Gregory XII and Sir Galen

Paul or Galen baron at elfsea.net
Tue Nov 13 05:53:13 PST 2001

(for Ansteorra-announce)

Galen of Bristol here...

I wanted to take this space to thank Duke Patrick Michael and the good
folk of the Shire of Rosenfeld for all their hard work to put on this
year's Battle of Three Kings.  This was the second time I was asked to
be one of the principles at Three Kings; last time, I had to withdraw at
the last moment due to a schedule conflict.  This time, it was really
special for me to portray Pope Gregory XII, fighting against the
anti-popes Benedict XIII and John XXIII, portrayed Sir Emrys and Sir
Ulstead, respectively.  This was a unique chance to do some things we
don't usually get to do in the SCA.  I thought it worked very well.

The folk of the Shire of Rosenfeld put on an outstanding event at which
many, many people (including myself) clearly had a great deal of fun.
(My personal thanks especially to Duke Patrick and Mistress Rhiannon for
their "veteran's favors" given out at this event.  As a Cold War vet --
my Air Force enlistment was 21 years ago today -- this was the closest
thing I ever had to a triumphal parade to march in, and it was nice.)

Thanks also to the Company of the Grail for the wonderful pas d'armes
you put on; I look forward to the next one.

As the Holy Father's chief recruiter of supporters, Pope Gregory wanted
me to pass on a few words:

+I want to thank all those who came out and fought, worked, played, or
displayed, especially those who devoted their efforts to my victory.
Most especially I appreciate the work of Frayman Hosey, my battlefield
commander, and the units of the Iron Star Brigade, including the Fray,
the Arthurian Company, and the Fian Ruadh.  Thanks also to House Arkham,
House FalconRose, and the Barony of the Steppes.  We also created four
cardinals, Lord Daniel Cardinal Stewart, Lord Willim Cardinal Penbras,
and Cardinal Timothy of Glastonbury, as well as one whose name is yet to
be announced, in recognition of their support for our cause.  We have
also created our trusty servant Sir Galen of Bristol "Archbishop of Loch
Ruadh", which appointment will remain in abeyance for so long as he
shall remain Baron of Elfsea.

+At court Saturday night, I desired to spare the populace the trial of
sitting in the gathering drew and growing cold, and so I postponed the
papal audience to Sunday morning, and it was then prevented by schedule
conflicts and my own failing health.  Still, Sir Galen was able to
distribute much largess on my behalf to my supporters.  He has much left
to give, so if any supported my cause who have not been rewarded, please
contact him at Tor Yule Revel or Steppes 12th Night.

+The Church is reunited, the Council of Constance has deposed the
anti-popes, "John XXIII" is imprisoned, "Benedict XIII" is beseiged, and
I am called upon to resign.  I hereby, by my apostolic authority as
Bishop of Rome, officially convoke the Council of Constance, ratify its
declarations to date, and therefore resign the Holy See.

+Gregory XII
+Servant of the Servants of God, Bishop of Rome, Supreme Pontiff of the
Universal Church

Galen again:  Those who know me know that my Catholic faith has been
increasingly important to me these past few years.  It was a great
pleasure for me to be able to share a little of it with you at this
recent event.  If you have an interest, I'd welcome the oppotunity to
discuss either the theology or the history of the Catholic Church with
you, as time may serve.

And as an historical note, Gregory died "in the odor of sanctity" about
two years after his resignation as Pope, and it was only after that that
the Council elected Martin V as the next Pope.  There can only be one at
a time.

- Viscount Galen of Bristol, Baron of Elfsea, KSCA, Pel., etc.

- Paul Mitchell / Galen of Bristol
"God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but
shouts in our pains: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world."
       - C.S. Lewis
Please discontinue use of <pmitchel at flash.net>.  Replace with
<baron at elfsea.net>.
All my websites have moved to <users2.ev1.net/~pmitchel>, because
Prodigy is about to impose its second rate increase since buying out
Flash.Net.